Zeiss 85mm Diascope Cover

muleman

WKR
For the past couple of years I have been using a heavy sock (pictures to follow) for my scope cover. I went with the sock as a temporary fix but still haven't found a option I like better.

I think the Zeiss neoprene cover doesn't cover enough of the scope, especially on my silver scope. As for the courdura cover I think it is just too much.

What are you using as a spotting scope cover?
What do you like and dislike with your current cover?

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Here are some pictures of my sock spotting scope cover.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

luke moffat

Super Moderator
A few years ago when I had a Zeiss 65mm Diascope I ran a neoprene cover. When I got my Swaro 65mm HD I got the Cabelas neoprene cover for $40 as the $200+ swaro wanted for their style cover was outrageous. Now that I have a 85mm diascope I got the neoprene cover again. Probably overkill to use any type of cover at all, but a little insurance never hurts when you throw down that kinda of coin for a spotter. :D

CIMG0168.jpg

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a cover for the newer model Diascope 85. Any newer covers available since this thread? Does the Zeiss neoprene cover allow you to use the tripod ring so you can twist the scope?

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was really close to ordering that one Aitchar, but I dont see that it allows access to the tripod ring knob. I use that knob a lot when glassing. Love to hear from folks who have experience with it. I run a BT3 and find that the rubber eyepiece cover can easily be knocked off (as it sticks out the top of the pouch) which allows dirt and possibly scratches on the glass.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Another company similar to Scopecoat is Optech, fyi. They appear to make a pouch for every dang thing! Plug for Doug at Cameraland as he told me about them.

I was really close to ordering that one Aitchar, but I dont see that it allows access to the tripod ring knob. I use that knob a lot when glassing. Love to hear from folks who have experience with it. I run a BT3 and find that the rubber eyepiece cover can easily be knocked off (as it sticks out the top of the pouch) which allows dirt and possibly scratches on the glass.

thats exactly what i notice. I am not worried. The black rubber armor on this thing seems to be plenty durable, and the objective cover stays on very well. I simply dont like the little rubber ocular lens cap. It doesnt stay on and when in my DT bags it sticks out the top collecting rain and dirt.... most of the time i can get my lid to cover it, but not always.

I wish they made a neoprene sleeve that just covered the ocular and pulled off easily.

Joe

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I wish they made a neoprene sleeve that just covered the ocular and pulled off easily.

Joe

Joe,

I have thought about that a lot, and I should investigate the possibility of marketing a design for that purpose. Most spotting scope covers are redundant given the excellent armoring provided on most designs. The only real need is an ocular cover.

I actually had a deal that my dad used for the handle of his dutch oven skillet that I put over the top of my meopta eyepiece. It had little red chiles on it, worked great but too small for the ocular on my zeiss hahah. I imagine a neoprene sleeve that was shaped like the eye piece and just fit snu around it would work perfectly. Like you said, the rest is overkill in my opinion.

Joe

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with ya. My only concern is the eyepiece. I had been thinking about making a small cover. I think it would need to be strapped on so it didn't get hooked by a branch and never seen again.