ZCO drop test

ljalberta

WKR
Makes me wonder whether it was the snow (which I would have suspected would have been blown out by the compressed air in front of the bullet - as happens with a taped barrel) or the scope needing a shot to bring itself back to zero after all the drops. I like seeing the drops though.

ljalberta

WKR
Makes me wonder whether it was the snow (which I would have suspected would have been blown out by the compressed air in front of the bullet - as happens with a taped barrel) or the scope needing a shot to bring itself back to zero after all the drops. I like seeing the drops though.
@TK-421, Are you able to shed some light on this? I've never fouled and shot with snow in my barrel, but I have experience with both a Leupold and a Vortex requiring a shot to "settle" the zero after dialing or the scope experiencing vibrations from driving.

This is impressive to say the least. I wish he would not have let that barrel touch snow, I could see how that can effect zero.

sndmn11

WKR
Genuine question with the caveat of I didn't watch much of the videos once I realized he wasn't showing the shots.

From the comments it sounds like the shot that was off is blamed on snow in the barrel.

If that is the case, how hard is it to re-test right then and there? An abnormal result occured after the introduction of one planned and one unplanned variable. Eliminate the unplanned variable and learn what the genuine cause of the abnormality was.

OP
Clark33

Clark33

WKR
I'd be curious to see how previously tested scopes would fair with a 6' drop as well,

or if it wasn't the snow in the barrel if that shift would have occurred with 3' drops.

I'd be curious to see how previously tested scopes would fair with a 6' drop as well,

or if it wasn't the snow in the barrel if that shift would have occurred with 3' drops.
The my nightforce atacr survived a 7’ drop. The stock on the test rifle did not. I was able to do a temporary splint on the stock and do 1 test round before the stock broke again. The rifle was still zeroed. This is a test case of one, but it left me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Attachments

• 5BC1C0BA-5956-441E-A61A-D53E5FC46E61.jpeg
    5BC1C0BA-5956-441E-A61A-D53E5FC46E61.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 75

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Almost no scope will survive a 6’ drop on hard ground. The only ones that tend to are NF. What purpose do you believe that a 6 foot drop serves?

This is a 3.5-15x NXS that was dropped multiple times from 7 feet.

Post #113

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/tanget-theta-3-15x50mm-scope-evaluation.242527/page-6

As well, in the scope evals there is a 4-16x ATACR and a NX8 that was dropped dozens of times from 5-7’ without a shift. I have not seen a shift from 5-7 feet on any NF, though I imagine that the 7-35x ATACR and maybe 5-25x would be more susceptible to physically breaking than others due to size.