Zamberlans Tearing Up Heels

CorbLand

WKR
Six years ago I bought a pair of Zamberlan 980s and they were the best boot I have ever had. I put them on and went for a hike up the road from the store and never had issues with them. No blisters, hots spots, nothing. Fast forward, the end of last year they started to cause some issues. Mostly my toes were getting blisters on long down hill stretches and this year they started causing issues all over my feet. Heels are getting eaten up, toes on the down hill and the outside of my feet on long stretches of side hilling.

I figured that they were finally just done and it was time to get a new pair. I purchased a pair of the Wasatch's which from my understanding are the same as the 980s just a full rand. I started wearing them around the house and mowing the lawn for a couple weeks and took them on their first hike last week. I made it about a mile and half before my heels had holes in them. Changed socks and took them out yesterday and made it about two miles before the same things happened. Even taped my feet up for the second attempt.

Any ideas? I am going to try them with the original insoles and see if that does anything. They seem to be fine until I start to go up hill. Then they just tear my heels apart in short order.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
You’re not alone. I ended up giving up on Zamberlan’s because of it.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
You’re not alone. I ended up giving up on Zamberlan’s because of it.
I know that getting boots is one of those personal things and everyone has different needs but it really seems odd to me that its the same pair that worked perfect and now it doesn't.

Guess I will have to place an order for some Crispis or something.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
The boots are two pieces of leather, correct? One large part that composes the majority of the upper and a part at the heel that joins the two ends? Boots that have that joiner piece on the inside of the boot tear me up. Boots like scarpas that have it on the outside are fine. No idea why the difference in design, because the seams are subject to the same amount of wear either way.

Northpark

WKR
For me it’s a stiffness thing. Scarpas (flex rating 4-5) being stiff tore me up. Literally ripped my heels to shreds. Switched to zamberlan guide GTX (flex rating 2-3) and no more issues. I went with a pair crispi nevadas this time (flex rating 3) and they kinda bother my heels on up hill climbs.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
Long shot, but might contact Lathrop & Sons (sponsor on here). They sell they own boot, but also rep others. Steve and James sold me a pair of Zamberlan's several years ago, with which I developed heel blisters. Fortunately, I was live only 35 miles from their shop. They were able to "tweak" the heel cup and it helped immensely. Leukotape took care of the last bit of issues. Possible that Steve or James can offer some suggestions.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar thing happen with my Zamberlan Wasatch GTX boots just last year.
Had a pair that worked for 2 years. Left them too close to a wood stove, shrank the leather, had to replace them.
Replacement pair didn’t work from day 1. Tore my heels up just like you. I tried working with them this year: different foot bed, different socks, heel lifts, tape, etc. nothing worked.
Then the goretex liner obviously ripped because suddenly one boot was not waterproof at all at a particular spot in the toe. Smallest puddle would go right through.
I moved on to some Crispis.

JStol5

WKR
I had some Zamberlan vioz GTX RRs that wouldn’t stop giving me problems. Heels got mangled and they gave me black toenails. Ended up going to Hanwags and have been extremely happy since.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
I had a similar thing happen with my Zamberlan Wasatch GTX boots just last year.
Had a pair that worked for 2 years. Left them too close to a wood stove, shrank the leather, had to replace them.
Replacement pair didn’t work from day 1. Tore my heels up just like you. I tried working with them this year: different foot bed, different socks, heel lifts, tape, etc. nothing worked.
Then the goretex liner obviously ripped because suddenly one boot was not waterproof at all at a particular spot in the toe. Smallest puddle would go right through.
I moved on to some Crispis.
What Crispi and did you stick to your standard size?

I have been wearing zamberlans for several years. This might seem crazy but the one time I had an issue I changed up my socks from darn tough to farm to feet. No problems since. I am all in on farm to feet socks now.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
The boots are two pieces of leather, correct? One large part that composes the majority of the upper and a part at the heel that joins the two ends? Boots that have that joiner piece on the inside of the boot tear me up. Boots like scarpas that have it on the outside are fine. No idea why the difference in design, because the seams are subject to the same amount of wear either way.
The wasatchs are a single piece around the heel. The only thing I can think of is the full rand is not allowing my heel any slip at all.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
I have been wearing zamberlans for several years. This might seem crazy but the one time I had an issue I changed up my socks from darn tough to farm to feet. No problems since. I am all in on farm to feet socks now.
I started having issues when I went to the Darn Tough socks so I figured that was my issue. Switched back to Smart Wool that I have used in the past and they still tore my heels up.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
What Crispi and did you stick to your standard size?
I bought the Thor (same size) which is not a similar boot at all. I still need a replacement 10”+ tall 4-flex boot for ptarmigan hunting. I’ll try an Idaho GTX at the start of next year’s ptarmigan season.
But the Crispi Thor is a great backpack-mountain-big-game boot. Replacing my over-kill Scarpa Charmoz.
The Thor has a very wide forefoot, which I need. Had never tried Crispi hiking boots before because their ski boots never fit me. I hope the Idaho GTX has a similar wide forefoot.

Also, as a former Vermonter, Darn Tough socks are the best and Smartwool sucks 😉

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
I will update this thread for anyone that finds it later. I went back to the 980s and jumped up to a size 9.5. Put about 60 miles on them, many of those sheep hunting and haven’t had a single issue since.

sneaky

"DADDY"
When i had that issue with my first 960s I talked to Zamberlan at the Expo. They told me they were too small, basically jamming my heel back into the heel pocket. They suggested I go up a size. Haven't had an issue since with multiple pairs of Zamberlans.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk