Yuma and El Centro

Mojave

WKR
A friend of mine got a pretty decent and interesting job in El Centro. It looks like it is about 60 miles to Yuma the closest town in Arizona from El Centro. Since it is all interstate is this a viable option? Are their nice places in Yuma to spend a couple years living?

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
Yuma can get very hot for sure. I've been dove hunting out there a few times but always stayed in our camper.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Check out Quartzsite next to the Interstate. Several long-term RV-type lots overloaded with transients and weekly garage sales, if that’s your thing. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
So you are saying it is better to live in California?

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
That is what I told him.

I would drive an hour daily both ways.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
Come in now California isn't all that bad...

MattB

WKR
Come in now California isn't all that bad...

True, but Yuma and El Centro are among the worst places in either AZ or CA to live. El Centro has all that is bad about CA but without the good things to balance it out. If I HAD to work in El Centro I would look west rather than east to live.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My family is from the Yuma area. Small farming towns just east over the mountain range. Yuma has a ton of housing, shopping, easy access to desert public land, close to San Diego and LA for vacations if that’s your thing at all.

It’s hotter than hot. When it’s 110 in Phoenix, it’s 115-118 in Yuma. If you can’t handle the heat do not move there. You get 7 months of perfect weather but you trade that for a 5 month, hottest summer ever.

There is good hunting close to Yuma and lots to do if you’re willing to drive a ways.

c670809

FNG
I lived in El Centro for 10 years and still have friends in that area. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I go down to visit every few years but haven't lived there in 15 years. Love my friends there but pretty much hated the area.

The road between Yuma and El Centro is an easy drive but there is not much out there so it gets really old. One of my friends drove back and forth to work for years.

Some great coyote hunting, cottontail hunting, dove hunting, and quite a few Belding ground squirrels around too.

Matt

glass eye

FNG
I live in El Centro.
Grew up in NorCal, foothills of the Sierra Nevada but have lived the past 30 years here in the desert.
That statement above by Mattb is extreme.

SDHNTR

WKR
Not enough money in the world! I can’t handle the heat! Just go visit in August. You gotta really like to dove hunt. Cool place in the winter tho!

Last edited:
OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
It is sickening hot there, I live near El Paso and it is 20-30 degrees warmer than it is here. Some areas near Yuma are below sea level.

glass eye

FNG
Is your original question intended to become an AZ resident while working in CA ?
Yes, that would be the only perk for traveling an hour each way every day.

I had 9 months in Yuma.
Summer in Yuma is like winter in Fargo: You stay inside, except for a couple hours per day.
In Yuma, that's 10pm to midnight. Parks come alive after sunset.
Had a crappy job but had enough fun on my time off.
Not enough to move back though.
Visited "the desert" a couple times since then.

+1 @glass eye except that points still take time to accumulate.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
I had 9 months in Yuma.
Summer in Yuma is like winter in Fargo: You stay inside, except for a couple hours per day.
In Yuma, that's 10pm to midnight. Parks come alive after sunset.
Had a crappy job but had enough fun on my time off.
Not enough to move back though.
Visited "the desert" a couple times since then.

+1 @glass eye except that points still take time to accumulate.
I am sitting on a mountain of points in Arizona. I am 7-9 points for every species.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
I am sitting on a mountain of points in Arizona. I am 7-9 points for every species.
My non-resident odds for New Mexico won't be much different than they are now as a resident.

I have a lifetime DAV license, but they told me it will become invalid when I leave.