Yukon Ram

MDR

FNG
Congratulations on the sheep. What did the bios age it at? My eyes tell me 9, but I am still a novice.

Nilgai

FNG
I liked having the extra room - I take a bigger sleep pad - Sea to Summit - and fits comfortably. With all the straps, you can cinch down the size.

Room for gear and food.

If you go on a day hike it’s no problem getting size down - wouldn’t want to strap down items outside the pack.

We were on an 11 day backpack hunt and got resupplied with freeze dried food on the afternoon of Day 6.

If I was on horses, maybe wouldn’t need it.

Did an Alaska trip with Kuiu 6000. Didn’t like how it carried heavy loads and it was jammed full.
Thanks for the advice, sounds like the extra room is really helpful if you need it but not a hindrance if you don't.

madx250

FNG
First sheep hunt was a success - a brief summary:

* Needed every bit of training - MTN Tough was great - last summer I had a Covid and Lyme’s Disease at same time - took awhile to get going when I started in December 2023. Don’t wait and don’t hold back. (And it still wasn’t enough)

* The mental challenge is just a real as everyone claims - prepare for going without and keep climbing - it’s a long hunt - have patience.

* Willows and frozen lichen make for a rough day of hiking - can’t kill a ram with a broken leg - take your time (but hurry up when you have to!)

* Eat and drink as much as you can - even when you don’t feel like it. I lost over 15 pounds on the trip.

* Loved my Exo K4 7200 (buy the extra straps - makes for more flexible load hauling once a ram is down).

* Don’t dismiss other mountaineering gear - was super happy with Fjallraven Keb pants.

* If possible, spend time with heavy loads going straight downhill - not just for your legs - check out effect on your toes - I’m in process of losing a big toenail due to the pounding it took at the front of the boot.

* Giant scopes aren’t necessary - was happy with Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x42 with a Fierce Rogue.

* Pleased with performance of Federal Terminal Ascent (.300 Win Mag). I’ve used since 2021 and it has been great and shoots well.

* Take more pictures and video than you think you will ever need.

View attachment 764122
great writeup, big congrats