Youth Rifle Options

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure this question has been asked but I'll ask again: I have a few daughters who are getting closer to hunting age and I'm thinking about a capable rifle that could be used on deer/cow elk. I'm looking at either a Ruger American in 6.5 CM or purchasing a chassis for my current rifle in .260 AI. The benefits of a chassis would be the adjustability, and it can easily lock into a tripod for shots. I have no experience with a chassis system. Anyone have experience/opinions on these options or other suggestions?

We got my daughter a Savage Axis youth in 7mm-08 and I am looking at the Mossberg Patriot in 7mm-08 for my sons first rifle this year. Hornady makes a reduced recoil load that has worked well for getting them used to shooting a hunting rifle.

f16jack

WKR
I bought my daughter a 7mm-08. It's a great, low kicking, big game gun. It is a Browning A-Bolt II, left hand, youth model with a shorter stock. I load the same Berger 180's that I use in my 7mm Rem Mag and she is deadly with it.

Very manageble kick.
CIMG2369a.jpg

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my daughter a 7mm-08. It's a great, low kicking, big game gun. It is a Browning A-Bolt II, left hand, youth model with a shorter stock. I load the same Berger 180's that I use in my 7mm Rem Mag and she is deadly with it.

Very manageble kick.
CIMG2369a.jpg
Is it an aftermarket stock?

I’m eyeing the Tikka compact for my son. Probably a 7-08 but the CM is always nice for recoil.

Kids come in all shapes and sizes. Fit (and form) is king. With good fit, several calibers will work. My son started on a Rascal .22 and soon after that a 5.56 AR. He is average height for his age, 13, but very skinny. He deer hunts with a Savage Axis .243 with a Boyds AT-One stock. Can get a good LOP and rise on it for him. It’s heavy but on a support he can use it just fine. We both shot deer with it last year.

I’d get a chassis for the 260 AI you already have.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Kids come in all shapes and sizes. Fit (and form) is king. With good fit, several calibers will work. My son started on a Rascal .22 and soon after that a 5.56 AR. He is average height for his age, 13, but very skinny. He deer hunts with a Savage Axis .243 with a Boyds AT-One stock. Can get a good LOP and rise on it for him. It’s heavy but on a support he can use it just fine. We both shot deer with it last year.

I’d get a chassis for the 260 AI you already have.
Sounds like a pretty good idea. I can load down the .260 a bit with some 120 TTSX for deer.

Trying to keep it simple. Maven 3-12 is the front runner. Sig and Leupold are also in there. Maven is having a sale right now…

Summitdog

Lil-Rokslider
Blaser is a modular system whereby one can change out the barrel (and bolt head and magazine if needed) for different calibers. One call also buy a 22 long conversion kit for plinking at low cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk