Youth Rifle: Left Handed

ryndxt

FNG
I’ve read all the youth rifle threads but my specific question is around left handed options.

My son is turning 8 and getting a rifle. He has a red Ryder he’s been shooting since 5. A .22 with iron sites he’s shot 100s of times.

I had him shoot my 7-08 and didn’t care for the recoil nor the right handed cheek bump. So I’m going to get a smaller caliber and suppressor.

Given left hand a couple options I’d like opinions on:

1) known available left handed bolt rifle in kid friendly caliber? (.243?)
2) right handed rifle and deal with it? Tikka compact?
3) AR platform to be ambidextrous? (Caliber: .223 / .300 blackout?)
4) semi- custom rifle? Can I get left action and stock and put together?

Budget: $1500-$2000? I’m budgeting $600 for suppressor.

Local gun store is advocating for a .300 blackout AR.

I’ve got a 7-08, 270 and a 30-06. My next rifle for me is likely a 6.5cm.

KenLee

WKR
AR in 6.5 Grendel with 123 gr ELD-M is a tame killer. I'd single load it for him.
Savage sells a cheap Axis model left hand compact 243. It's not real nice, but they work just finefor $350

My daughter is a lefty and has shot RH rifles since she started with no issue. Began with a .22 when she was 4yo with an adjustable stock. Started hunting at 8yr with a Model Seven in .243 and then moved to a CA Ridgeline in 7mm-08 when she was 14. The problem with most "youth" rifles is that they are still too long and heavy for most 8-10 year olds. My daughter has always been small for her age. I bought a cheap wood stock for the Model Seven that had been cut down to about 11" LOP, which is a full 2"-2.5" shorter than most youth guns. After several seasons, we swapped back to the original stock, which is about 13.25" LOP.

An AR platform shines in this regard with an adjustable stock and if you go that route, I would get a 6.5 Grendal rather than .300 BO. That said, I'm a little leery of shooting a RH AR for a lefty, as the gases could spew into their face. Maybe that is an unfounded concern, but we tend to be protective of our daughters.

If you are going to use a suppressor, there is no reason not to go ahead and get a 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM as the recoil will be more like a .243 or less. That said, a .243 is plenty of gun. We used the 80gr TTSX with great results.

With a $2,000 budget, there are lots of options including semi-custom or at least multiple stocks. Also it has been my experience that quality youth rifles and gear sell quickly on this page and 24hr campfire, so you can likely get most or all of your money back when it is time to move up.

I would chop your 7-08 to 18", thread it, add a limbsaver recoil pad, and get your suppressor. My daughter (140 pounds) really enjoys shooting this combo. Shooting 150 grain suppressed handloads, the recoil energy is only like 10.5 pounds, on par with .243 and 6.5 CM. If you drop down to 120 grain bullets, you can reduce the recoil further. Spend the rest of your budget on ammo, upgrades, or reloading supplies.

If you're dead set on a new rifle, Sportsman's Warehouse has LH .243 and 22.250 in stock.

Regarding whether you get a RH or LH, if you ever plan to sell in the future, its easier to unload RH rifles. That's coming from a lefty.

TXHunt

Lil-Rokslider
When you get that suppressor it’s gonna be game changer for him. I have found most kids are more scared of the loud boom than the recoil. Even though they say it’s the recoil. But the great thing about suppressors is they do both, reduce recoil and sound. That said another great way to reduce recoil is weight. Lots of kids guns have plastic stock and pencil barrels and don’t weight anything. Kids aren’t freehand shooting so my recommendation is get a heavy rifle. Depending on what he’s gonna be hunting 6 creedmoor is a great round for deer and antelope sized game. It’s basically the new improved 243 and much easier to find ammo for. I’m going to send you a PM as I’d love to help your son with a rifle.