youth elk hunts

In the process of beginning to build points for my soon to be 12 yr old son. With that being said, id like to find a good state for him to have an enjoyable time. With no points as of right now, anyone know of a good hunt that doesnt require any points?

There's a lot of "that depends " for a OTC youth opportunity.
How fit are they?
Capable of executing a difficult shot?
Etc, etc.
With no prior knowledge of a unit it will be tough.
Money can certainly help, like stated above.
Hiring a guide is another option.
But regardless having an adventure with your son will be worth it.

hunterjmj

WKR
I'd buy points but in the meantime get him experienced hunting and shooting so that investment is worthwhile. Not a bad idea to do some otc cow hunts too.

Laramie

WKR
Plenty of youth deer options out there. Some OTC but not many elk options. Easiest way for him to get a tag is to find someone willing to share points with him in Wyoming.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Montana has a lot of youth hunting opportunities, including units where kids 12-15 can harvest a cow or bull while general tag holder can only shoot a bull. There are also many youth deer opportunities throughout the state. These are all outlined in the MT hunting regs. This would require you to draw for the general tag in MT. A private land late shoulder season cow hunt would be even better, but a lot more $$.

mi650

WKR
I know it’s not what you asked, but don’t overlook small game hunts either close to home or a trip. Kids don’t need a big trip to have a big adventure.
This. Sit down with him in a nice patch of oaks and hand him a 22. Let him pick off a few squirrels.

I started off deer hunting at 14, didn't hunt any small game until my mid 20s.

Buddy and I took our teenagers on youth cow hunts in WY last year after drawing with zero points. If you do your research on draw odds for the units, you may be able to draw a youth tag with zero points. The cost was also reasonable at around $250.