Youth boots

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
My son drew a New Mexico mule deer tag this year. He will probably be tagging along with me in Colorado also. I'm debating on boots for him. He is 12 and is barely into men's shoe sizes. I think he is a 7 in men's. Do I spend money on decent boots or get cheaper ones since they will probably only last a season at the most.. Anybody found any smaller decent boots?? I do have 2 younger boys that will be getting them as hand-me-downs.

My son drew a New Mexico mule deer tag this year. He will probably be tagging along with me in Colorado also. I'm debating on boots for him. He is 12 and is barely into men's shoe sizes. I think he is a 7 in men's. Do I spend money on decent boots or get cheaper ones since they will probably only last a season at the most.. Anybody found any smaller decent boots?? I do have 2 younger boys that will be getting them as hand-me-downs.

Hey there. I’m in the same boat, or was in the past few years with my now 13 year old. . I went with Merrel Moab’s from rei. He got to try a few different sizes and they are comfortable shoes for new hikers as they have an athletic shoe fit. He has gone through a few pair each year as his feet are growing fast but they’ve done well. My ten year old is doing the same (and will be reusing some boots) We do use a heavier pac type boot in late oct/nov though (keeping his feet and hands warm is key for making it in the late season).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

505Wapiti

WKR
My son outgrows boots so fast, I was in the same situation last year. I found a basically new pair of boots here on the classifieds that worked great at half the price. He was 12 as well and I believe they are size 7 keens if I remember correctly. He only wore them for about a week in NM unit 17. If interested shoot me a PM.

I was talking with an aunt this weekend about youth boots and shoes, she used to buy shoes from REI or Lands End because of their incredible return policy. Which then reminded me that I have taken advantage of Rei's return policy, after trying a pair for several months but just never being satisfied I returned them for a full refund. It looks if you are a member it is 365 days from date of purchase. I figure its worth the try honestly.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Mens size 7 would be 8.5-9 womens depending on brand. I found some Zamberlans on Ebay for my daughter for around $50

I had the best luck buying women's boots for my boy at that age. His feet were long enough for small mens sizing, but his foot volume was lower than an adult and he preferred the fit of the womens sizing. Take that for what it's worth, but it may give you a much more options.

His favorite of the various boots he has used were La Sportiva "Ultra Raptors" A light synthetic boot. Leather boots were generally disliked due to weight.

If you don't NEED boots though, all my kids have done their best miles in trail shoes. We don't break out the boots until it's pretty cold and wet.

I was in the same situation, found a like new pair of Rocky’s on marketplace. The lady shipped them for $25. Always and option to go used. Like everyone said earlier they grow out of them so quick no need to dump crazy money for something used a handful of times. Best wishes

OP
J

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! He drew a elk tag this week in the secondary draw...time to find some boots and get hiking!

Women's boots. Did that for a few years before they got big enough to find men's boots that reliably fit. Used REI for Vasque's for non-insulated and just passed them down from one kid to the next and now to the nephew's. Same thing w/ all of their hunting clothing...it's on it's fourth hand off so far.

Sled

WKR
Thanks guys! He drew a elk tag this week in the secondary draw...time to find some boots and get hiking!

Same boat for me. Kid turns 13 in August and drew LE elk and cow moose. Both are long odds in my state. I was thinking of some Salomon boots on sale but women's might be the way to go. He is in an 8.5 men's currently but who knows by the time hunting season gets here.

Hey there. I’m in the same boat, or was in the past few years with my now 13 year old. . I went with Merrel Moab’s from rei. He got to try a few different sizes and they are comfortable shoes for new hikers as they have an athletic shoe fit. He has gone through a few pair each year as his feet are growing fast but they’ve done well. My ten year old is doing the same (and will be reusing some boots) We do use a heavier pac type boot in late oct/nov though (keeping his feet and hands warm is key for making it in the late season).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 13 year old went through almost 2 shoe sizes in less than a year. He's now a size 10.5 men's.

Mr Lahey

FNG
I bought the Sportsman's brand name boots this year for my 12 yo...I think Rustic Ridge? Great boots for the money. I think they were on sale for about $80. And they fit my wife as a bonus.