Your recommendations? Insulated boots for winter hiking

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I have plenty of warm winter boots, but I'm looking for some goldilocks boots that will be comfortable for long days of winter hiking, snowshoeing, and overnights in temps about -10 to the 20s. What would you recommend? I'm looking for something that checks these boxes:
  • Warm at the temps above, but with most use in the single digits to teens
  • A dedicated hiker or otherwise light and supportive enough that hiking is enjoyable
  • Provides ankle support and traction in the woods and steep sidehills
  • Enough body to allow you to cinch down snowshoe bindings
  • Not built as stiff or heavy as a legit mountain boot--most of my use is below treeline, and anyway, I like to have some flex because I find my feet stay warmer
I guess I'm looking for either a very hikable pac boot with good traction and support *or* a mountain-style boot but with a more flexible sole. What models should be on my radar?

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a boot in the similar range - a 'tweener'. I have cold weather boots and warm/cool weather hikers. I haven't made the decision quite yet, but pretty certain the Hoffman/Schnees style pac boots are going to fit the bill for me. I'm leaning towards the Hoffman Outback. Would think it would be a style to put on your list.

yfarm

WKR
Schnees beartooth, wish they made it with 600 insulation.
Or a Kenetrek 600-1000 with a sole flex like the beartooth
Hard to reconcile hiking and pac boot in the same sentence.
Own a pr of Whites Cowboys with new Hoffman bottoms, provide good support for a pac boot but not like the boots above.
Have an old pr of rubber rand 6” 600 gm Chippewa hiking boots that are about perfect as long as you are moving and wear gaiters. No longer made.

Last edited:

huck

Lil-Rokslider
For me its schnees beartooth .If im moving much at all there great.. We just had a 12 day stretch of -30 and I ended up wearing my beartooths over my 1yr. old arctic sport muck boots.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Should say I got mine a half size bigger for my wool socks.

I wear insulated Danner elk hunters for winter hiking boots. Loved them so much that I picked up a pair of non insulated for 3 season hikers.

OP
dutch_henry

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Quick update--I found a used pair of Hoffman Outbacks on an auction site. @Bigfeet, thanks for flagging this model. If nothing else, it was a good opportunity to upgrade by old Sorels, which are definitely not up to the task. @yfarm and @huck, the beartooths look good and are also on sale. I just came up empty in my size.

Price was right on the outbacks and they should get me through the winter. That gives me three seasons to find the right insulated hiker, so please keep firing away with suggestions.

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Update for anyone looking for a similar boot.
I was looking for a cool/cold weather boot and told the OP the one I was leaning toward was the Hoffman Outback. Warm enough for a tree stand in late November (-5 Celsius or so) but still light and sturdy for hiking coulees, foothills and mountains in cool to cold (with or without snow) conditions. The Outback seemed to fit that niche, a hiking pac boot, but that was only based on on-line research I had done. I hadn't seen the boots. At the urging of my wife (better put - her exasperation with me talking about them for a few months!), I finally placed the order with Hoffman. Only had them a short time now, but thought I would share my impressions.
Size - these are a little bigger (overall) than I expected. Initially I thought they were too big (but I do wear a size 14) but when I put them on they didn't feel clunky nor heavy. They actually feel quite nimble for their size. For cool to cold conditions I wanted them for, looks like they check the box. I also wanted to be sure the sole was sturdy, as I have had other pac style boots that gave me issues because of a soft sole with no support. These have a shank built in, which I could tell right away, that makes for a firm, but not stiff, sole.
Build quality - no issues to speak of. They look very well made, really well made, and should last for many years. For a pac style boot, these are definitely the best built I have seen.
Traction - I got the standard Claw sole (I think that is the standard) and have used them in the snow a few times. Walking a somewhat steep and icy incline, they grabbed very well. Again, for a pac boot, these are much better than any I have worn.
Comfort - the leather, as you would expect, is a little 'stiff' initially and will take a little to work in. Even at that they are comfortable right out of the box. The only issue I had was my heel lifting slightly, but with an ankle tightening eyelet on the boot, it snugged down perfectly.

Overall: this is the most comfortable pac style boot I have used, with the best traction and build. After only a few short hikes, I think they will perform well hiking miles in rough country. Plus, with the 400 gram Thinsulate booties I bought with them, they should be perfect for those cool to cold tree stand sits. I should say I have only had these a short time, so this is just a first impression. I plan on using them for spring bear, which starts in April, and should get a really good idea of how they perform through snowy foothill and mountain country. But, if someone is looking for a hiking/pac style boot, in my opinion, these would certainly be one to strongly consider.

OP
dutch_henry

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
@Bigfeet, thanks for the early impressions! I ended up finding a like-new pair Hoffman Outbacks and scooped them up. My experience has been similar to yours. They came with a 200g liner and I recently ordered a 400g to use for real winter. I sized up to a 13 from my ordinary 12W. Fit is good.

Since they arrived it's been depressingly warm here in Vermont, with lows falling only to the high teens (-7C). In other words, can't comment on their insulation value in deep cold, but they've been perfect in those temps. Traction, support, and fit has been great for traversing steep slopes as well as crossing deadfall and non-technical scrambles. They are chunky monkeys relative to insulated hiking boots BUT in a completely different league from any other pac or muk I've used.

WyoArk

FNG
I am looking for a similar boot. I will be using them to predator hunt in very cold temps this winter. I will likely be hiking long distance in fairly steep terrain, and I will also be doing sits for 60-120 minutes.
I am between the Hoffman’s and the schnee’s extreme 10 inch. If anyone has any advice in this area, I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe I should be looking at an insulated hiking boot. Open to all suggestions!

WCB

WKR
The coldest my feet have ever been are in Schnees pack boots (Hunters). I LOVE them for deep snow, trapping, active hunting etc.

Spent a lot of time in the saddle and glassing with them and froze my feet. The rubber just gets way colder in my opinion than leather or synthetic options. I currently have Crispi Wyoming uninsulated and would rather sit in them with temps in the teens than a pair of the Schnees Hunters or Outfitters. For active hunts, snowshoeing etc I don't even wear insulated boots and don't switch to insulated until under 30 degrees for even tree stand hunting.

WyoArk

FNG
I actually own a pair of Wyoming gtxII. They are indeed a great boot. However, they are not waterproof at all. They weren’t waterproof out of the gate. Maybe I just got a bad pair. I treated them with the crispi spray as soon as I bought them. I also have the crispi Nevada boot, and it is waterproof and my go to boot. I don’t think my feet would be able to take sitting for 90 plus minutes in -20 degree Wyoming winter with either of my crispi boots. They are both fantastic for archery elk here in Wyoming. I recently wore the Nevada in Alaska, and it performed flawlessly in heavy rain. Maybe I’m looking for a unicorn boot.