Your input--give me your advice on picking a hunt to do

Laramie

WKR
You can hunt moose in newfoundland very close to that budget. I have found quite a few hunts that are a little less or a little more than 5k, including the tag. If you carpool with a couple others, you could get there and back fairly reasonable.

Alligator hunt in Florida is very doable on that budget. I would also recommend paying for a night bowfishing trip while down there - very fun.

Hog hunts are fun- 5k would buy a bunch of those.

Nebraska has OTC deer hunts for non-residents. Not much public land so research is needed and I would recommend a trespass fee if you can find one.

It's not a hunt but almost as much fun- shark fishing off the coast of Georgia is a blast. The area near Brunswick is a breeding ground so a guy can catch high numbers and occasionally catch something huge. My best is 12' and my highest number day was well over 50.

Plenty of guided mountain lion hunts within your budget.

Wild Nilgai in Texas is reported to a great time and within your budget.

You could hunt Wyoming pronghorn this fall on that budget. There are some very easy to draw tags in areas with little to no public land. That isn't a concern if you are paying an outfitter or a trespass fee. Veteran tip- Find the property before applying for the tag.

Combo guided waterfowl with upland hunting is a great time and easily in your budget.

I hear the Ukraine is offering some really cheap guided hunts for Russian tanks...

grfox92

WKR
Get an antelope tag. Drive out by yourself or with a friend. Camp at or in the truck with the camping gear you already own. Sounds like you have a rifle. You can antelope hunt in hiking pants a synthetic or wool t shirt and a hoodie, hiking boots or sneakers.

You will be all in for around $2k including gas and some meals at restaurants. No brainer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I hunt Wyoming with a buddy every other year, we stay at a hotel, both traveling and while we are hunting. pay for a trespass hunt, split fuel costs, I expect the fuel costs to be a bit more next year but nothing we cannot deal with. The hunts are for antelope and mule deer, the last two hunts we done rather well with the animals we hunted. And live rather well , the total cost to include having the game processed to include butchering, packaged and pre frozen along with tags comes in around that price range, we go every other year and we are working on a 2023 hunt right now, the trespass ranch is locked on all we have to do is draw tags. So yes it is possible, at least for us. And bring home some money.

KurtR

WKR
If its me first i am going to Arkansas for a flooded timber hunt, then hunting sand hills in texas with stanfield outfitters . If anything is left i would go to one of the coasts to hunt sea ducks i cant hunt here or maybe Alaska. Canada would also be on the list but it all depends on the regulations getting up there for me

WCB

WKR
Do some DIY hunts outwest. put in for tags and just go...you don't have to go DIY backcountry crazy.

Also, join SCI and go to a local banquet. Hell I bought a New Zealand Chamois hunt on auction for 2 people everything included besides airfare and shipping animals back for $2000. If I didn't add on Tahr and a couple sheep my wife and I would have been all in for less than $5000. Best hunting trip I have been on hands down with Africa being second.

Also, you can normally buy on auction some African trips (South Africa and Namibia) with 3-5 animals included (sometimes credit for more animals also) for $2000 and under. Airfare and Trophy transport not included. Add $1500 for Airfare and just send skulls and horns back I bet you would be looking $5000 right in the face. And you can get over there cheaper on some hunts. The state SCI I attended in Feb had a Caracal and Serval hunt for like 5 or 6 days all included (minus airfare and trophy shipping). went for like $900. You always have the option to buy animals when you are over there. Could have come out pretty good on that one.

WRM

WKR
+1 on Africa, if you're willing to travel there. I have friends that primarily hunt there now. African plains game (non-dangerous) is almost certainly the best "bang" for your buck. It'll be a heck of an experience and you'll get to harvest game, which certainly is not a guaranty on hunts here, assuming you even can get a tag in your lifetime for what you'd like to hunt.

With no real equipment, your budget (sadly) is just too low for most any type of backcountry hunting. Yes, if you can identify something you'd like to try and can obtain the permit, truck camping may let you slide in at that level.

Good luck--hope you identify a good fit for you!

OP
C
+1 on Africa, if you're willing to travel there. I have friends that primarily hunt there now. African plains game (non-dangerous) is almost certainly the best "bang" for your buck. It'll be a heck of an experience and you'll get to harvest game, which certainly is not a guaranty on hunts here, assuming you even can get a tag in your lifetime for what you'd like to hunt.

With no real equipment, your budget (sadly) is just too low for most any type of backcountry hunting. Yes, if you can identify something you'd like to try and can obtain the permit, truck camping may let you slide in at that level.

Good luck--hope you identify a good fit for you!
Couple of people have said this budget is too low. What does it take for Mule Deer or Elk?

chris

Laramie

WKR
Couple of people have said this budget is too low. What does it take for Mule Deer or Elk?

chris
I diy hunt both in Wyoming regularly as a non resident for well under 2k, tag included. If you are looking for a guided hunt, 5k is doable for a good deer hunt but pretty low for a guided bull elk hunt. $1,500-$2,000 buys a good cow elk hunt. Tag fee not included. If you are doing guided mule deer and not concerned about being in the mountains, I would look hard at Nebraska. If you are willing to pay for it, they have great mule deer.

WRM

WKR

chris

Hard to say, because it's so location specific.

It "sounds like" you want to use an outfitter. I haven't bothered to look from pre covid because I was boxed out on most hunts even then. I've only heard pricing has gone up and outfitters are booking further out (depending on game).

If you went mulies, a fully outfitted hunt still means you need some gear. There are (or were) outfitters in NM that you could probably stay in that number, again assuming you pulled a tag.

Elk--you aren't getting there (except maybe a cow somewhere) with an outfitter (IMO). Pricing, again, is variable, but I don't know of any outfitter that will get you in at that price point. AND you still need some gear.

I'm 56 and I backcountry hunt by myself. I wouldn't necessarily rule that out. But, your going to spend a lot on gear. And you still need to find a tag and a place to hunt.

OP
C

It "sounds like" you want to use an outfitter. I haven't bothered to look from pre covid because I was boxed out on most hunts event then. I've only heard pricing has gone up and outfitters are booking further out (depending on game).

If you went mulies, a fully outfitted still means you need some gear. There are (or were) outfitters in NM that you could probably stay in that number, again assuming you pulled a tag.

Elk--you aren't getting there (except maybe a cow somewhere) with an outfitter (IMO). Pricing, again, is variable, but I don't know of any outfitter that will get you in at that price point. AND you still need some gear.

I'm 56 and I backcountry hunt by myself. I wouldn't necessarily rule that out. But, your going to spend a lot on gear. And you still need to find a tag and a place to hunt.
By gear you are meaning a tent, stove, what else?

Laramie

WKR

It "sounds like" you want to use an outfitter. I haven't bothered to look from pre covid because I was boxed out on most hunts event then. I've only heard pricing has gone up and outfitters are booking further out (depending on game).

If you went mulies, a fully outfitted still means you need some gear. There are (or were) outfitters in NM that you could probably stay in that number, again assuming you pulled a tag.

Just depends what kind of creature comforts you need. A tarp, a rope, and a bed roll aren't really too expensive.

Laramie

WKR
By gear you are meaning a tent, stove, what else?
Many guys on here are buying high end light weight gear to be very comfortable in the back country. Nothing wrong with that but it can be done cheaper, it just won't be as comfortable.

AK WSF banquet is this saturday. there are years when a lot of these hunts don't even meet the minimum bid. You could really sweep up a smoking deal if anything interests you. And you have a few days to do a little research and contact the folks offering each hunt to set a budget.

WRM

WKR
You can overboard on anything (and buying down grams gets expensive real fast). When you're schleppin all this crap yourself, you almost have to spend some money (hopefully sensibly) on "lighter" gear. It all adds up really fast. Can you get it all on a "budget"? Yes. You may find, however, that the pain caused by what you bought diminishes the enjoyment of the trip. Or you may be a stone cold mountain man who can run barefoot in a thong at 22 degrees.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
You can do a guided antelope hunt for $5K. That's about where I'm at for a 2023 hunt - includes outfitter costs, tips, flight, rental vehicle, and a couple of days of other stuff after we shoot the antelope. As someone said cow elk cost about the same.

Antelope is real fun when you aren't covered in other hunters and trying to hunt in tight little parcels.

If you have gear and 2 or 3 buddies, you could do 2-3 hunts on the $5K by splitting everything else in thirds or 1/4s. Licenses will run about $400-$1,000.

Getting the tag is the hardest part. Start looking at your draw options. CO may have OTC elk for rifle, other states may have OTC for whatever.

Also 50s. Waiting for preference points is another thing - we were doing the points thing and the WY 90/10 thing motivated us to pay to hunt sooner with a guide (2023) than waiting for DIY... Might be being a little overreactive - just hate being late to the party and would be super ticked if I had 5-8 points and they go to bonus points and everyone has same opportunity... Could take it from waiting 5-8 yrs to never getting a tag. Not willing to do that at my age.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
How much flexibility do you have as far as how long you can be gone for the trip?

What types of hunting and where have you done already?