Your favorite sling.

Bcleck90

WKR
I love the looks of a leather Montana sling but the mountaineer makes more sense for backpack hunts. I want to say they are 3.6 ounces. I’m taking one to Alaska in 2 weeks.

Good luck in Alaska 👍

Nothing beats a Montana Sling in looks or simplicity, but they’re too slick on my shoulder. I have one left on a wood stock, Remington 700 that was my grandads rifle. I’m not carrying it around much so it doesn’t matter.

Oldrifle

FNG
The Grovtec Mountaineer is appealing to me. When climbing and engaging in other activities, it is easy to maneuver and doesn't slide.

WJS23

WKR
I have been using the uncle mikes mtn sling forever and really like it for shooting off hand. I got the fhf gear sling last season to give that a try. I like it but you can get 4 of those mtn slings for the same price as one of the fhf gear slings.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
For ease of adjustment: Montana or Blue Force sling
For non-slip: Grovetec Mountaineer
For comfort with heavier rifle: Butler Creek Alaskan

I have tried many but my favorite is the quake claw. I always go back to the claw. I finally bought one for each of the three rifles I currently use regularly. I got tired of swapping them around.
On my 2 lever actions I use a leather Montana Sling.

Last edited:

Dave0317

WKR
Do you use the sling to shoot or support the rifle in any way? Or just to free up your hands for binos or whatever?

If you use it for shooting support, I highly recommend The Wilderness Langlois-Rhodesian sling. Fastest and most stable loop-up type sling I know of. I’ve also used TAB gear slings on precision rifles and they can do a similar thing, but not as fast. Maybe slightly more solid loop, but slower.

If all it does is carry your rifle, depending on how you carry, either any simple strap will do, like a butler creek, or if you need easy/quick adjustment, you can’t beat a VTAC.

Kurts86

WKR
I like the quake claw contour or slimline sling depending on gun weight. I’m not a big fan of their full width sling.

Jlong620

FNG
I have an old leather sling that for some reason I just like on a gun. Uncle mikes works well too though, I’m not too picky here just prefer a little more simple and durable.

Seeknelk

WKR
Haven't used a rifle mounted sling in 15 years for Western hunting, they just suck with a pack on. Switched to kifaru gunbearer first and now Montana slik sling.

Lefjab10

FNG
Kifaru Gun Bearer
I’m on the Kifaru Gunbearer program as well. Although I’ve modified mine so that the rifle rides behind me rather than having the muzzle stick out from under my right armpit. I didn’t like the muzzle protruding when I’m glassing.

j_volt

WKR
I’m on the Kifaru Gunbearer program as well. Although I’ve modified mine so that the rifle rides behind me rather than having the muzzle stick out from under my right armpit. I didn’t like the muzzle protruding when I’m glassing.
Gohunt just came out with one. Seems interesting.

Lefjab10

FNG
Gohunt just came out with one. Seems interesting.
Thanks I will check it out. I played around with several similar pierces of gear - from he Kifaru to slightly similar products from Exo and others. I even made my own out of leather, trying to get the rifle to ride the way I wanted, etc. So far none are perfect but maybe Gohunt solved the puzzle.