Your Favorite Hunt you would recommend?

arcticpig

FNG
What's up everybody. This is my first post. I was wondering if somebody can give me a trailhead and place to camp to give me the best shot at a 6x6 elk.....lol jk

For real though I started bow hunting in Middle School really enjoyed it. Hunted whitetail deer. Decided I'm going to travel to some different countries and just live with no purpose. Now I'm back to real life and living in Southern Florida and want to get back into hunting. Went on an archery elk hunt 2023 unit 53. Had a blast. Saw 4 elk. Got within shooting range but couldn't get a shot off. Didn't get anything but I also did bring my pup along (service dog).

Question is what are some good hunts you recommend in some general areas like out west or north or canada that you have had some good time doing that you would recommend? Just trying to get some ideas. There is so much to learn with Western draws, whitetail deer draws, and kind of just want somewhere to start to enjoy being in the woods; cool locations even if I don't end up getting anything.

Thanks in advance.....I wouldn't mind that trailhead for the 6x6 tho.

Taudisio

WKR
If you walk far enough from any trailhead, you could find a 6x6!

One of my favorite hunts is a late summer archery mule deer when they are still in velvet. Think mid/late August. Weather is always warm at home and cool up high and it’s nearly the first opportunity to hunt for the fall. Usually takes a few years to get a tag with a target rich environment. Camping and good fishing with family doesn’t make the experience worse….

OP
arcticpig

arcticpig

FNG
If you walk far enough from any trailhead, you could find a 6x6!

One of my favorite hunts is a late summer archery mule deer when they are still in velvet. Think mid/late August. Weather is always warm at home and cool up high and it’s nearly the first opportunity to hunt for the fall. Usually takes a few years to get a tag with a target rich environment. Camping and good fishing with family doesn’t make the experience worse….
That does sound nice. Do you sleep in a tent? If so, do you prefer floorless, single wall or double? I have a big Agnes tiger wall at the moment but I do want a trekking poles tent in the future.

Taudisio

WKR
That does sound nice. Do you sleep in a tent? If so, do you prefer floorless, single wall or double? I have a big Agnes tiger wall at the moment but I do want a trekking poles tent in the future.
When I am with the family, they bring a camper. When I leave them and pack into the wilderness (I’m the only one that bow hunts) I have a SO cimarron. Floorless tipi. I only prefer the floorless tipi for weight/size. I have used $30 Walmart tents in the past. No problem with your tiger wall. Up high altitude, summer evening thunderstorms are a very common occurrence. They seem to come out of nowhere so a rain fly overnight is definitely needed.

Mojave

WKR
Anything sheep and goats is just awesome. Honestly though. African hunts are really the catch pajamas.

You see a lot of different wildlife, and have a lot of opportunity on a wide variety of species.

Imagine spending a week in Yellowstone and having tags for everything in October. That is Africa.

WKR
Archery antelope in whatever state you desire. Public land whitetails in Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois would be fun and a bit closer.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty tough to beat the day I killed my moose. It wasn't a glamorous 1 shot bow kill, but it's a tale to be told.

I wish I could re-live that day over and over again.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I got spoiled / screwed up by a Yukon moose hunt a couple of years ago. Float plane in; nothing around for hundreds of miles and no contact for a week. Booked a sheep hunt in the NWT as soon as I came back; leave for that in two weeks.

I had the opportunity to go on 4 day tuna fish trip out of San Diego a few years ago, and now it's annual trip.

I could go elk / mule deer in Colorado (and have) but just don't feel the excitement for it anymore.

For some, it's an elk hunt in Colorado, others it could be an antelope in Wyoming. Try some things out and see what you learn and like. Life is short as you probably know, don't be afraid to check the things off the bucket list.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So many great choices. Anything in particular you like more? Deer vs elk? Weather/time of year prefernfe? Rifle versus bow? Thick country in with the animals or glassing big country? Spot and stalk or ambush?

Pdzoller

WKR
Fall black bear in desert canyon country. If you can get there at the right time the bears are feeding heavily on choke cherry and dogwood berries. They can be extremely concentrated. Most people are doing other things that time of year so you can get massive areas to yourself.

We usually can get a bear, catch a bucket of crawfish and get some good trout fishing in. More of a vacation than a hunting trip.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like moose hunting, there are lots of cool animals out there to hunt but for me, bringing down bull moose in September is about as good as it gets. Rafts, jet boats, camping for 10 days, etc. I just love moose hunting.

goodlife

FNG
Bow hunting whitetail and elk from a tree stand is the most fun I've had in this game.

Alaska is the Ace of Hearts. Africa is the Ace of Clubs. Visit and hunt them both. Best of luck, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I think my dream hunt would be a New Zealand Red Stag and Tahr hunt. Hopefully am going to get to Alaska soon for Moose. My son is in the Army and has a good chance of being stationed in Alaska come February.

turbo406

FNG
As a die hard predator hunter a wolf hunt is super high on my list just haven't made it happen the last few years unfortunately.