YOUR favorite all purpose jacket

wapitibob

WKR
I have a jetstream, haven't worn it more than once in the last several years. I bought an original version 90% probably 15 years ago, and wear it weekly.

MBAlex

Lil-Rokslider
Arc’teryx Atom LT. I have one in navy for around town etc and a LEAF one for hunting. Wear them almost daily from fall to spring.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Synthetic jackets and these marketed “all purpose soft shells” have pretty limited use generally speaking. Breathability for high exertion activity isn’t fantastic snd they are a waste unless it’s freezing and wind blowing badly. Then they aren’t ever warm enough for me for static use below about 45 degrees.

I almost never bring this type of jacket into the back country when the combo of a good grid fleece and wind shirt/puffy are much more effective across a wider range of temps and exertion levels.

Jimss

WKR
I've used and abused quite a few Sitka over the years. They have held up like iron and worked extremely well. Lately I've switched over to Kuiu. Kuiu seems to be a bit lighter weight with less bulk than Sitka for the same amount of weight.

I agree 100% with msgs post immediately above. I layer a lot so have quite a few layers to pick from. Although I don't leave home without a hoodie, one of my favorite layers is a vest. I can use it over a base layer or add it to a hoodie when cold. If it's super cold I can add an outer rain jacket to cut wind and rain/snow.

With that said, layers can cover a wide range of conditions rather than having one heavier jacket that is only good when cold or when in-active.