Your choice for Muzzleloader regulations.

What would be your choice for a muzzleloader season regulations?

• Total voters

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
With all the different topics popping up on multiple forums about the future of muzzleloader hunting I figured I would throw up a poll to see what type of regulations would have the most support. I will also consider cap lock breach loading firearms that take the old twisted paper cartridges like the 1863 Sharps as muzzleloaders as they are legal here in PA. For all intents they aren’t much different than the speed loaders used by most hunters these days.

I believe I have covered the majority of options available, in the interest of streamlining smokeless is only included in unrestricted and all others are black powder or blackpowder substitutes. For obvious reasons Blackhorn 209 would only be legal where 209 primers are legal. If you’ve got anything else to add or any comments feel free to post them and if I missed any options I’ll see if I can modify the polls.

EdP

WKR
I am strictly a traditional flintlock ML shooter. Regardless of my preferences, there is too much money tied up in the in-line ML business to expect any meaningful change to limit in-line use.

Rich M

WKR
You missed the one about everything goes except smokeless. I had to vote to include smokeless but that’s no longer a smokepole.

Still see smoke outta mine but use glass, sabots, 209 primers…. I dont go hunting to maybe have the gun go off.

We all hunt for diff reasons but i hunt to shoot stuff. Would prefer they have 1 season and say go kill 1, that’s it. But we’d all use what floats our boat.

I only hunt about 10-14 days/yr cause it is enough. Too manny guys think you have to hunt every season and shoot as much as can.

EdP

WKR
Too many guys think you have to hunt every season and shoot as much as can.
This may be true but I think there also are a lot of hunters who just enjoy spending more time in the field with the challenge of finding a trophy class (to them) deer.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
It’s always been hard for me to understand why iron sights or optics gets paired with the muzzleloader hunts only. More options for iron sight only rifles is what I’d support. I’ve found iron sight hunting with my Model 1895 in 30 US (.30-40 Krag) and it’s vintage ‘Climbing Lyman’ peep sight to be a lot more challenging than the scoped muzzleloader hunt I’ve tried. Those long barrels and dark peep sights are tough in low light.
0FBAEAD6-DC9F-45E8-B461-81262A9C0155.jpeg

I’ve got a lot of lever guns that would get a lot more field time if there were some iron sight seasons. At least there’s Iowa with their .350”+ rule, but it makes my .348 Winnie very sad.

87TT

WKR
Muzzleloader seasons were created to give a challenge not to add more seasons. The new inlines and scoped weapons diminish the original point. Maybe we should do away with separate MK season and use whatever weapon you like during regular rifle season.

OP
C

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I am strictly a traditional flintlock ML shooter. Regardless of my preferences, there is too much money tied up in the in-line ML business to expect any meaningful change to limit in-line use.
I started muzzleloader hunting with a pedersoli PA long rifle flintlock so that I could use it in both our early muzzleloader season and out late flintlock season here in PA. I enjoyed it but in the early season we can only shoot does so I was carrying both a muzzleloader and a crossbow during that week.

You missed the one about everything goes except smokeless. I had to vote to include smokeless but that’s no longer a smokepole.
Still see smoke outta mine but use glass, sabots, 209 primers…. I dont go hunting to maybe have the gun go off.

We all hunt for diff reasons but i hunt to shoot stuff. Would prefer they have 1 season and say go kill 1, that’s it. But we’d all use what floats our boat.

I only hunt about 10-14 days/yr cause it is enough. Too manny guys think you have to hunt every season and shoot as much as can.

After PA closed the first week of rifle doe hunting the early muzzleloader became our primary doe hunting season as the odds were higher than the second week of rifle.

It was then that I made the switch and picked up an inline but quickly got frustrated with the yearly zero shifts and generally poor accuracy. After a couple missed opportunities due to not trusting my equipment I didn’t really want to be bothered with an inline anymore so I ended up putting a smokeless barrel on my regular hunting rifle. It works right every time, hits exactly where I aim, can be rezeroed in one or two shots, doesn’t get rusty and the best part is I can suppress it to help mitigate hearing issues.

This may be true but I think there also are a lot of hunters who just enjoy spending more time in the field with the challenge of finding a trophy class (to them) deer.
It’s always been hard for me to understand why iron sights or optics gets paired with the muzzleloader hunts only. More options for iron sight only rifles is what I’d support. I’ve found iron sight hunting with my Model 1895 in 30 US (.30-40 Krag) and it’s vintage ‘Climbing Lyman’ peep sight to be a lot more challenging than the scoped muzzleloader hunt I’ve tried. Those long barrels and dark peep sights are tough in low light.
View attachment 562992

I’ve got a lot of lever guns that would get a lot more field time if there were some iron sight seasons. At least there’s Iowa with their .350”+ rule, but it makes my .348 Winnie very sad.

I’m a rifle guy first and foremost, my favorite hobby is shooting rifles with hunting being a close second.

If given the option I’d prefer to hunt the early seasons with my 1873 Winchester, 1874 Sharps or 1895 Winchester. With irons they are way less effective than my smokeless muzzleloader or an inline but because they are cartridge rifles they aren’t legal.

Rich M

WKR
I started muzzleloader hunting with a pedersoli PA long rifle flintlock so that I could use it in both our early muzzleloader season and out late flintlock season here in PA. I enjoyed it but in the early season we can only shoot does so I was carrying both a muzzleloader and a crossbow during that week.

After PA closed the first week of rifle doe hunting the early muzzleloader became our primary doe hunting season as the odds were higher than the second week of rifle.

It was then that I made the switch and picked up an inline but quickly got frustrated with the yearly zero shifts and generally poor accuracy. After a couple missed opportunities due to not trusting my equipment I didn’t really want to be bothered with an inline anymore so I ended up putting a smokeless barrel on my regular hunting rifle. It works right every time, hits exactly where I aim, can be rezeroed in one or two shots, doesn’t get rusty and the best part is I can suppress it to help mitigate hearing issues.

I’m a rifle guy first and foremost, my favorite hobby is shooting rifles with hunting being a close second.

If given the option I’d prefer to hunt the early seasons with my 1873 Winchester, 1874 Sharps or 1895 Winchester. With irons they are way less effective than my smokeless muzzleloader or an inline but because they are cartridge rifles they aren’t legal.

I only get to hunt ML when i draw a 3 day quota permit, usually every 3 yrs or so. As such i like it to be easy and simple. Sits in the safe 3 yrs, couple shots to check zero, off to hunt 3 days, back in safe.

Trusting the equipment is a primary concern!

jimmy33

WKR
As long as it’s loaded thru the muzzle, who cares? That by definition is a muzzleloader.

I feel the same way except for I don’t like scopes on a muzzleloader. I feel like they should open sights only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1X, except change it to 3X fixed. 200 yds is a realistic distance to be effective and is very doable with an open sight, 3X would make the 200 yd a little easier to make if your eyes don't do as well at distance.

UThunter6

FNG
I voted 1X. Although I like my scope on my muzzeloader for Utah. All these states being different requires to have a few different muzzeloaders. Makes it kinda fun.

I like having a separate muzzleloader season. I have had a lot of fun challenging myself with working up loads for different muzzleloader types. I have a scoped inline that I've taken a buck with out to 256 yards. I also have a sidelock with a Lyman peep and a front globe sight that's fun to shoot. I feel like they need to go to irons only with how advanced the muzzleloader tech is getting. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about consistent ignition, it would only limit range for most folks. That being said my TC new Englander caplock goes bang pretty much every time.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Since the poll was worded “your choice”. I chose traditional. Knowing we can’t have things exactly the way we want them… I would be on board with iron’s only. I think if you’re gonna allow scopes you might as well be hunting in the rifle season.

frbg2019

FNG
Interesting topic as there is so much tied up in why a muzzleloader season might exist in the first place. Certainly a combination of many things that could land (and has) in many interpretations. Tradition, challenge, heard health, etc. My opinion right now would draw the line at smokeless powders and the powder/bullet going in the muzzle. Probably prefer open sights, but not sure on that one.

I do wonder how accurate an old school black powder is with a scope. Has anyone ever had a scoped sidelock? I know it sounds silly but just wondering.

OP
C

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I do wonder how accurate an old school black powder is with a scope. Has anyone ever had a scoped sidelock? I know it sounds silly but just wondering.

There were scoped target flintlocks back in the mid 1800’s and both the Whitworth and 1859 Sharps were fielded with scopes during the civil war. They were capable of hits at several hundred yards so I’d imagine the could hold a decent group.

If you look at the BPCR competitions they are shooting out to 1000 yards with the old buffalo guns that aren’t that far removed from the caplocks they replaced.

We could do the same pole for archery. Why not recurve only with wooden arrows?
Because new compounds aren't capable of shooting several hundred yards accurately. Most guys still limit their range to 50 yards with a bow. I would think a better comparison would be newer X-bows and smokeless powder muzzleloaders. That's my take.