Youngest to get the Colorado big ten?

Laramie

WKR
I see where you're coming from because I've had this perspective too. And I get you're not bashing so don't take this as a counter "attack". But it's a bit short-sighted for anyone to think they know why people chase a hunting goal or a list as some like to call it. I decided to pursue a DIY super 10 a few years ago. Just as a personal goal. None of the animals I've taken up to this point have been submitted and they likely won't be after I'm finished. That includes a few book animals; a couple of which were in the mega category and are sitting in a box 3,000 miles away. Great for people that do, going to awards banquets is probably a great way to meet people and open hunting opportunities up. My goal is a goal that I'm strictly competing with myself and my limited resources and knowledge to accomplish. It's taken me to some cool spots including a cow musk ox hunt that I made happen last year which was a blast and a great experience. It was a massive PITA and its a trip I would've kept on putting off without a goal in mind. My last two groups to finish are an elk and antelope. Both will force me to travel to a place I'm unfamiliar with and learn a different way of doing things. I would never leave Alaska to hunt those animals if I didn't need to "check them off my list." The whole list thing is just too complicated to unknowingly assign a motive and everyone has their own reasons for having one. What about guys that want to shoot each deer sub species? They got a little member or just want to experience different parts of and hunts in the US?
Not a counter attack but a pretty snarky last sentence... You aren't following my original point. Again, I have no issue with guys pursuing every animal on the planet for whatever reason they want. However I disagree with hunters chasing the notoriety or prestige from doing it the fastest or youngest or whatever. It's the competition factor that I disagree with. In my opinion, when guys hunt solely to outdo another, they have lost sight of the reasons to do it.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I just misinterpreted the OPs question. It felt to me like it was a question asked out of curiosity more than anything - especially since it sounds like this particular accomplishment has more to do with luck and time in the draw than anything. I didn't even know they register something like this in states.

At the end of the day, over a beer where we can all share more than a handful of sentences expressing our opinion, it's likely we all agree much more than we disagree.
This is the best response. My buddy who I mentioned in the OP doesn't post his animals on social media, and only a few of his best friends even know that he's close to the big 10. He could increase his chances of killing a rocky ram by applying in higher odds units, but he's got a specific unit in mind that's low odds and he'll wait to hunt there. He'll actually never get the big ten because he's not willing to pay for a cat hunt. I agree with a lot of the thoughts people have posted in response, and I also think killing the big ten is a cool thing.

I made the original post simply out of curiosity. And because I'm insecure about my extremely small weiner, and wanted to make it sound like I hang out with good hunters

Maybe I just misinterpreted the OPs question. It felt to me like it was a question asked out of curiosity more than anything - especially since it sounds like this particular accomplishment has more to do with luck and time in the draw than anything. I didn't even know they register something like this in states.

At the end of the day, over a beer where we can all share more than a handful of sentences expressing our opinion, it's likely we all agree much more than we disagree.

I would say that arrowing all 10 or even 8 has a lot more to it than just drawing the tag. That just gets you to party. There are, and have been a lot of people who draw the tags and come home empty that's for sure.

Example, last years results on a couple popular archery areas for sheep.

S9 18 ram tags, 12 went home empty handed

S32 16 ram tags, 10 went home empty handed

S12 15 ram tags, 12 went home empty handed

That's a lot of broken dreams right there!

This is the best response. My buddy who I mentioned in the OP doesn't post his animals on social media, and only a few of his best friends even know that he's close to the big 10. He could increase his chances of killing a rocky ram by applying in higher odds units, but he's got a specific unit in mind that's low odds and he'll wait to hunt there. He'll actually never get the big ten because he's not willing to pay for a cat hunt. I agree with a lot of the thoughts people have posted in response, and I also think killing the big ten is a cool thing.

I made the original post simply out of curiosity. And because I'm insecure about my extremely small weiner, and wanted to make it sound like I hang out with good hunters
I’ve killed lion and didn’t pay. So it’s possible for your buddy.

I would say that arrowing all 10 or even 8 has a lot more to it than just drawing the tag. That just gets you to party. There are, and have been a lot of people who draw the tags and come home empty that's for sure.

Yep I agree. Drawing tags is a small part of it. But there is no guarantee. I know plenty of guys who drew special tags and weren’t successful. I get a kick out of guys who say successful guys are just successful because they lucked out getting the tag.

Was fortunate to arrow the Colorado Big 8 in the first decade that I lived in Colorado....1975-1985, 6th bowhunter to complete it...I was very lucky drawing tags. Completed a second archery Colorado Big 8 in 2004 the fifth bowhunter to do it twice...luck continued in the draw. But never was fortunate enough to draw a Colorado Desert Bighorn tag in about 15 or more applications. Nor did I draw a Colorado moose tag in over 25 applications. The Colorado Bowhunters Association kept track of those records and had short stories/biographies about the successful hunters in the record books they published. That was all it took to really got me interested in hunting a variety of species around North America...plus reading Chuck Adams stories.

Not Colorado, but as per the Desert Sheep...drew a tag in NV and arrowed one in '91. Also drew a WY Shiras Moose and arrowed one up in WY in '92. Both DIY hunts. Started going on a lot of DIY hunts around the west and Alaska in 1984. Moved to BC 13 years ago. After 50 seasons of bowhunting completed an Archery Super Slam (29 North American Species) last year. Never tired of the challenge, but the 9 species that I got with guides did get a bit pricey...but worth it for me. Most hunters would care less and spend their money elsewhere.

Was fortunate to arrow the Colorado Big 8 in the first decade that I lived in Colorado....1975-1985, 6th bowhunter to complete it...I was very lucky drawing tags. Completed a second archery Colorado Big 8 in 2004 the fifth bowhunter to do it twice...luck continued in the draw. But never was fortunate enough to draw a Colorado Desert Bighorn tag in about 15 or more applications. Nor did I draw a Colorado moose tag in over 25 applications. The Colorado Bowhunters Association kept track of those records and had short stories/biographies about the successful hunters in the record books they published. That was all it took to really got me interested in hunting a variety of species around North America...plus reading Chuck Adams stories.

Not Colorado, but as per the Desert Sheep...drew a tag in NV and arrowed one in '91. Also drew a WY Shiras Moose and arrowed one up in WY in '92. Both DIY hunts. Started going on a lot of DIY hunts around the west and Alaska in 1984. Moved to BC 13 years ago. After 50 seasons of bowhunting completed an Archery Super Slam (29 North American Species) last year. Never tired of the challenge, but the 9 species that I got with guides did get a bit pricey...but worth it for me. Most hunters would care less and spend their money elsewhere.
Congratulations on all your accomplishments. That’s awesome.

# legend! Old school Colorado archer right there. When I think of great CO bow hunters this guy is right there at the top. Pretty hard era to follow!

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ve killed lion and didn’t pay. So it’s possible for your buddy.
Did you call in the cat or cut tracks on foot, or have your own hound(s)? I have a spot that has so many cats it wouldn’t be out of the question to call one in or cut a track

Did you call in the cat or cut tracks on foot, or have your own hound(s)? I have a spot that has so many cats it wouldn’t be out of the question to call one in or cut a track
I actually had a friend with dogs. Hunting with hounds is so awesome. Such a fun hunt.

However I’d really like to call in a cat or walk one down on foot thou.

Can confirm.., broken dreams indeed

Hnthrdr

WKR
I actually had a friend with dogs. Hunting with hounds is so awesome. Such a fun hunt.

However I’d really like to call in a cat or walk one down on foot thou.
That’s awesome, I have a co worker that runs hounds I would love to get on a hunt with him even to observe, definitely a bucket list hunt

Sadly the lion hunts have "skyrocketed" in price. I was listening to Chuck Adams talking about "Worth" and agree with him 100%. This is one of those hunts to me. The same cost and you could do a major hunt in AK.