Youngest son wants to become a welder

Get all the certs he can and get certified to do elevated work. Most of the cell towers in operation today are 30 yrs old and were never designed to have the loading 5G requires. They require extensive structural mods to to support today's gear. Traveling the country reinforcing cell towers can be an absolute blast for a young man, and he can always get his CWI after a few years.

Wrench

WKR
798 pipeliners will make the most per hour in strictly welding. Millwrights will be the most universal to transition company to company.

I spent a decade welding on oil and gas, it treated me well.

If you can get into specialty stuff, oil/gas, hydroelectric, sanitary....etc, the income picks up considerably.

b2one

WKR
This is great stuff. So can any of you recommend a career path to get to the upper levels? Obviously get certified at tech school, then what?
A lot of companies looking for welders will let the welding schools know what they are looking for, so going to school and getting certs is a good start from the networking standpoint as well as the Certifications. Then, depending on what part of the country you live in, either look at the various Unions (mainly East and West Coasts, LV, and Chicago) or in the rest of the country look for contractors in the field that interests you - pipeline, tanks, etc. If you really want to make a GOOD career out of welding, be prepared to spend several years moving around a lot. Regardless of the industry, you have to pay your dues. Then you can take your credentials and start your own company, act as an independent contractor with you own rig, "sky is the limit" as has been said before. You have to be willing to sacrifice. The local fab shops, whether they are a small mom and pop shop, an Off-Road parts fabricator, an equipment Manufacturer, or whatever, usually has no problem filling their workforce with people willing to take less pay because they don't want to do the hard thing. Getting welding certs is NOT a hard thing. Spending several years moving around the country with a pipeline crew, living out of hotels, and only sleeping in your own bed 20 nights a year is hard - and that is why they get paid for it.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Good info, and thanks everyone for chiming in. Please don't stop.

I did not realize that the 2-month welding school we were looking at will only put him sub $20/hr for a smaller market. At least that is the impression I'm getting.

I am attaching the coursework for the school we are looking at currently. Would love for someone to critique the training and advise where this would put him from a money making standpoint.

Welding Training Program

COURSE #
SUBJECT
LECTURE HOURS
LAB HOURS
TOTAL HOURS
BRIEF DESCRIPTION
W-100Orientation, Basic Engineer Knowledge and Skills
40​
0​
40​
Students will be introduced to the Welding training program, will review basic shop safety, math, computers, precision measurement and engineer drawings
(No pre-requisite required)
W-101Blueprint Reading and Layout of Parts
20​
20​
40​
Students will be introduced to terminology, complete basic blueprint reading, and actual layout of parts from blueprint specifications
(Pre-requisite W-100)
W-102Shielded Metal Arc (MMA) Welding
20​
20​
40​
Students will learn MMA theory, tips and practice guided by shop floor instruction
(Pre-requisite W-101)
W-103Plasma Theory and Cutting
20​
20​
40​
Students will learn Plasma Cutting Theory, tips and practice guided by shop floor instruction
(Pre-requisite W-102)
W-104Gas Metal Arc (MIG) Welding & Flux Core Arc Welding
20​
60​
80​
Students will learn MIG and Flux Core welding, tips and practice guided by shop floor instruction
(Pre-requisite W-103)
W-105Gas Tungsten Arc (TIG) Welding
20​
20​
40​
Students will learn TIG welding, tips and practice guided by shop floor instruction
(Pre-requisite W-104)
W-106Production Simulation
20​
20​
40​
Students will simulate a product using MMA, MIG and TIG demonstrating the skills they have learned over the weeks of training.
(Pre-requisite W-105)
Total Hours320

There isn't any TIG training, so not really sure how that would play into needing further instruction.

Seth

WKR
If you want top end, you need more than basic skills. I’ve been in mining for over 20 years. A basic welding skill set/certification gets your foot in the door, maybe. Our first level welder gets about $25. An entry level mining haul truck operator gets $31 with no prior experience.

As mentioned by others, a skill set beyond welding, such as supervision or ability to fabricate/machine, gets to a higher pay but you have to put your time in and show you have the right attitude and excel at what you do.

It can be a good career path, but starting early, pay attention to the health protection to save hearing and lungs for your future.

To all the naysayers yapping about $20/hour….I dare any of you to hire somebody to come out and weld something simple that is broke down in the field and then compare what they made to fix that for you to what you make. Lol

You don't need to be 798 pipeline welder to make a damn good living. Trust me.

Besides the 798 guys are a bunch of pre-madonna assholes anyhow…

huntnful

WKR
I run a Fab shop and am located right next door to the community college welding shop. I am in a rural community where every farm kid around here thinks he can weld. Those are the $12 / hour kids. If you have certs and can read a blue print you are closer to $20 / hour. Keep in mind that most structural certs can be obtained within a semester at the community college, so you get what you pay for. In the last 10 years I have worked with union Pipefitters, Boilermakers, Iron workers, and Millwrights in Chicago and Quebec, as well as Pipefitters from the gas fields in Wyoming and Colorado. Those guys are on an entirely different level. Welding Certs from the college will only get you to an apprenticeship with these crews, and then you really start to learn how to weld. Those guys are the 6 figure income welders. If someone needs a trailer fixed or a fence built, I direct them to the kids that just got their certs. If I need a tank built, pipeline run, or a new boom built for a crane, then the real welders get the call.
This dude nailed it. I’d get formal PIPE WELDING instruction for a short period of time (1 year) and then get into a PIPE WELDING field. Unless you’re going to run your own fab shop, you won’t make much money fabricating as an employee of someone else. If you want to stay local, look into tig welding/7018 welding in local factories (nuclear, food processing ect.). If you don’t mind traveling you can join a union (789 for example) or go non union. In these instances you will more than likely need your own welding truck. Factories can sometimes supply welding equipment for specific jobs.

Basically you need to weld pipe, or have your own rig doing mobile welding/fabricating to make big bucks for the most part. I’m sure there are some exceptions, but not many.

Hobart welding school in Ohio seemed pretty established when I was there getting my CWI years ago.

huntnful

WKR
To all the naysayers yapping about $20/hour….I dare any of you to hire somebody to come out and weld something simple that is broke down in the field and then compare what they made to fix that for you to what you make. Lol

Hahahaha yeah most of them think they’re badass, but can’t weld worth a shit 🤣. I also agree with this. To make money fabbing, you must be self employed with your own equipment. That’s the key. Do not work for an employer. Heavy equipment welding repair in the field is going to be AT LEAST $60 an hour.

If I were to go self employed tomorrow, that’s exactly what I would do if you’re in an AG area. Mobile welding repair and fabricating.

Regardless of certs or schooling you gotta cut your teeth doing something. Once you get some experience the doors start to open up. Sand plants in West Texas paid 24-30 for single hand welders when I was out there. Knew some boys getting 40-45 running there rigs with the contractor suppling consumables.

b2one

WKR

You are right about the guy that comes out with a rig and does field repairs. Rates around here are at about $80 / hour for that service, and that applies to driving time as well as actually on site. I am guessing that person has a lot more on their resume than getting their certs, plus the cost of the rig and welder. Not a bad position to be in as far as running your own business.

huntnful

WKR
You are right about the guy that comes out with a rig and does field repairs. Rates around here are at about $80 / hour for that service, and that applies to driving time as well as actually on site. I am guessing that person has a lot more on their resume than getting their certs, plus the cost of the rig and welder. Not a bad position to be in as far as running your own business.
I’d venture to say you could set up a fully tooled out mobile truck, with a used truck and used welder for less than $75k to get started. I’d say it’s a great investment. To throw out some numbers for here in CA, depending where you are and what you’re welding, if you’re on pipe, it’s anywhere from $75-$150 an hour for rig welders.

KsRancher

WKR
A local welder by me here in south central Ks gets $125/hr. That time starts when he leaves his house and ends when he is back home. He does a lot of oilfield welding and fabrication

Former welder, that’s all I’d ever done until January of this year from the day I graduated highschool in 2014. I went to school for it at the local JC part time while working full time in a welding shop. Got my certs and did everything from galvanized horse panels to sanitary stainless piping, water well casing, and heavy structural. Bounced around half a dozen employers over the years. If I were to do it again I’d say go union as soon as he can. That’s where the money is unless you work for yourself. I enjoyed it for the most part but it took a toll on my body. I switched careers and some times I miss it but most the time I don’t. It’s not as glamorous as social media portrays it. For the most part wages are low, I didn’t make good money until my last few years doing structural. I can only imagine how my lungs look from breathing smoke, fumes, rust and dust. I now have sporadic shoulder and back issues from slinging heavy steel 60 hours a week. Not to dissuade him from pursuing it but something to keep in mind. It can be a rewarding career, but be prepared to roll your stuff up and head down the road if you can get a better offer elsewhere. Not to mention working with some questionable characters, but that can be true in any construction industry. Looking back, would I do it again? Probably not.

Last edited:

yfarm

WKR
Couple of nuclear power plants being built in the SE, incredible costs overruns and project delays. One of the causes is lack of welders with the skills to meet design specifications.
Just reinforces above comments that unique skills translate into higher dollars, doesnt matter what field you are in.

Last edited:

geoff995

WKR
Check out Western Texas College in Snyder, Tx. We have an excellent AAS welding program that has been training welders for over 40 years.

RS3579

WKR
The plumbers and steamfitters in the local unions do a lot of welding. Go visit you local union. It’s free and YOUR payed during the apprenticeship schooling. After you get your journeyman ticket you can decide what you want to specialize in. Then you always can fall back to the trades if needed.