You have to hit at 200 before you can hit at 600! Wind test at 200 yards

I sighted in my little 6.5 Fieldcraft last week. Shot 147 ELD-M the best (I only shoot factory). Went to our longer range (out to 600 yards) after turkey hunting yesterday to shoot a few groups. Only shot 200 yards. Why? Because I can't judge the wind and thought I better learn a bit more first.

I shot 8 rounds, one after another, with a fixed 10X scope at 200 yards. 147 ELD-M 6.5CM. Wind was variable, but when it blew, it was steady 5-7 mph left to right. Each time, I shot when I felt like the wind died down. Of course wind at the bench isn't wind at the target, or on the way to the target. Still MIL of deer, but man I have to learn to judge the wind better!

No wind, 100 yards with ELD-M (right side only, left was 143 ELD-X, which my gun never has liked).
ELDM ELDX.jpg

8 shots at 200 yards with same ammo without reading wind; not so good. Better learn some more! Note that the splatter was caused by this being mounted on a metal refrigerator door. Didn't even realize it was there (it was behind some other targets and has not been on this hay bail before). But you can still see all 8 shots.
200 Yards.jpg

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and quit shooting from the bench...if you gonna learn you might as well replicate real field positions... I will say it took me some practice to learn to shoot a light rifle.

OP
Mike Islander
If those are 1” squares I don’t think that was all wind. Unless it was blowing 15-20mph instead of 5-7.

One inch squares, but I think you might be right. Running the numbers in Strelok Pro I get a 2" shift right with 10 mph winds. Winds were 5-7 "variable", so gusts to 10 would not be unreasonable. Still doesn't cover the full shift. The group on the right is centered at about 2.5" right. There was probably some shifting in my cheek weld or something as well. I was shooting on a bench, but just with the rifle resting on my daypack.

OP
Mike Islander
Do yourself a favor and quit shooting from the bench...if you gonna learn you might as well replicate real field positions... I will say it took me some practice to learn to shoot a light rifle.
Agreed. I was shooting on a bench, but my rifle was just resting on my pack. So not entirely a non-hunting position. I plan on running the drills that Form laid out a while back (whether his or someone else's design, I'm not sure). Definitely a wake up call to go from shooting a 9 pound BDL to this rig, which weighs less than 7 fully loaded.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
Judging wind can be tough. I know until I bought a Kestrel and started sampling wind speed, I had trouble judging it and was surprised how much I could be off at times. I agree with Keith Stone that there's more going on there than a 5-7 mph wind.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Try shooting a 22 lr at 200 yds in the wind. Good practice and very humbling.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Agreed. I was shooting on a bench, but my rifle was just resting on my pack. So not entirely a non-hunting position. I plan on running the drills that Form laid out a while back (whether his or someone else's design, I'm not sure). Definitely a wake up call to go from shooting a 9 pound BDL to this rig, which weighs less than 7 fully loaded.

I did this and I found the answer to the test.
For me I can't / dont have good mechanics.
I can take my 9 and 10 pound rigs to 600-1000 no problem
My 7 lb fieldcraft I can do 400 prone of bags but I really perfer 300 as I can hit the 6" gong at 300, 90% or so.
I settled on a 8 lb gun loaded without my can and bipod is where I wanted to be.

That's pretty good for a lightweight rifle. Right now you are good to 400yd. More practice and you can probably get to 600 for hunting. I've had hard time shooting ultralight rifles. I carry my savage lightweight hunter in the woods. When out west 26 nosler in a 10# rifle. I know that in theory thats backwards. I just can't get past the extra range I get from a heavier rifle. Much easier to shoot quickly when breathing heavy and needing to take advantage of an opportunity.