Yellowstone Snowmobile

I’ve been snowmobiling a few times and I’ve been to Yellowstone during normal operating months (may-Oct) but looking to do the snowmobiling unguided.

Lottery closes for a spot at the end of Aug

I realize you can’t go blazing wherever. But even with sticking to the groomed roads during winter - it’s limited and remote and should be a blast.

Anyone ever do it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did it as a family when i was a kid, 40 years ago. Road riding with a speed limit of 45 mph.
I am more of a backcountry rider, so have never had the urge to ride the park. Around the park, is a different story though. great off trail riding outside the park.

TaperPin

WKR
It doesn’t sound slow, but riding groomed trails at slow speed with a bunch of goofs on vacation in guided tours sharing the road with you sounds painful. Other than a lot of trees to look at, and the funny tour busses with big tires, maybe I’m missing something. A deep powder machine outside the park with more hp than a Hyundai, could be as remote as you want, and make your tummy feel funny in some amazing country - if you like trees, there will be plenty all over. 🙂

OP
snowymtnwolf
Yea. I planned to go down to where I hunt mule deer and hit the powder in Greys River - Region G

But I guess I have the urge to hit up Yellowstone in winter (been there 15x in summer). Just a diff perspective on Y Stone I suppose. Something else to itch

CorbLand

WKR
Have you ever spent 5 plus hours going up and down? If so, you have rode a snowmobile in Yellowstone.

My parents use to do it back when I was little but never took me. The trails are so full of whoops, its slow going. They do have some cool pictures though.

If you are planning on taking your own sled, make sure you look at the regulations. I know they use to have some sound level stuff and most sleds didnt meet it. I havent looked in years though.

TaperPin

WKR
Yea. I planned to go down to where I hunt mule deer and hit the powder in Greys River - Region G

But I guess I have the urge to hit up Yellowstone in winter (been there 15x in summer). Just a diff perspective on Y Stone I suppose. Something else to itch

I have visited some places in winter just to see what it’s like at a different time of year and that did make it worth it.

CRJR45

WKR
I did it in the late 90's , we stayed at Pahaska Tepee Lodge , the east pass was the highpoint of the trip . One day the wind was blowing so hard my friend was too afraid to continue , and we turned around .
The park itself was cool , you animals were out in abundance , everywhere . Passing by Bison on the road was a big sphincter- pucker factor .

Have done a sled trip out of west Yellowstone with some old friends every year the past 5 years. You can get a hotel and rent sleds right out of west or island park. Ride sled right out of parking lot to trailhead. Tons of country to explore in all directions, it's a blast. Even did a night in a forest service cabin a few times. Will say riding a sled off trail in deep snow is a whole different ball game than on trail. Most places you only get into trouble if you choose to. On x off road has all the sled trails. I think they still do 1 week free demo on new sign ups.

OP
snowymtnwolf
Yea. I know even some years the snow is so thin you have a hard time even on trails.

Yea. I’m just looking for something different in the winter to try.

My dad’s buddy from Cody was snowmobiling in the park in the 1990s and came upon a bison halfway under ice near fishing bridge. They tried to attempt a rescue but Park Rangers came by and said “let nature run its course”.

mntnguide

WKR
I guided those trips for a winter job at one point in life... Havent been back since and I live here. If you like trail riding and freezing, its a good place for that. And non stop lines of other guided tours and buses. I guess the thermal features and bison are kinda cool in winter, but not enough for me to ever go back there again for fun. I prefer to unload my turbo and go ride actual snow that doesnt have cops patrolling your speed limit:cool:

I guided those trips for a winter job at one point in life... Havent been back since and I live here. If you like trail riding and freezing, its a good place for that. And non stop lines of other guided tours and buses. I guess the thermal features and bison are kinda cool in winter, but not enough for me to ever go back there again for fun. I prefer to unload my turbo and go ride actual snow that doesnt have cops patrolling your speed limit:cool:
Did you order a new g5 turbo?
I got one coming!

CRJR45

WKR
Yea. I know even some years the snow is so thin you have a hard time even on trails.

Yea. I’m just looking for something different in the winter to try.

My dad’s buddy from Cody was snowmobiling in the park in the 1990s and came upon a bison halfway under ice near fishing bridge. They tried to attempt a rescue but Park Rangers came by and said “let nature run its course”.

When we went we hit a record snowfall and a Bison got stuck in a snow drift , and the park patrol was trying to get it free .

mntnguide

WKR
Did you order a new g5 turbo?
I got one coming!
Turbo R lynx shredder.. it is a lot of fun. Better than my previous modded turbo gen 4. Gen 5s are awesome as well, just decided to give the lynx a whirl for a couple winters at least

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Have done a sled trip out of west Yellowstone with some old friends every year the past 5 years. You can get a hotel and rent sleds right out of west or island park. Ride sled right out of parking lot to trailhead. Tons of country to explore in all directions, it's a blast. Even did a night in a forest service cabin a few times. Will say riding a sled off trail in deep snow is a whole different ball game than on trail. Most places you only get into trouble if you choose to. On x off road has all the sled trails. I think they still do 1 week free demo on new sign ups.
Going to the mountains and riding trails is like dry humping. Going through the motions with no real pleasure.

OP
snowymtnwolf
Turbo R lynx shredder.. it is a lot of fun. Better than my previous modded turbo gen 4. Gen 5s are awesome as well, just decided to give the lynx a whirl for a couple winters at least

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

After last year hitting great powder for a week near steamboat I looked hard at the lynx

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s not an adventure ride but it’s a lot of fun. I got to do it about 7 years ago with my wife and we had a lot of fun. Don’t let the negative talk stop you, it is what it is so go have fun.

OP
snowymtnwolf
It’s not an adventure ride but it’s a lot of fun. I got to do it about 7 years ago with my wife and we had a lot of fun. Don’t let the negative talk stop you, it is what it is so go have fun.

Yea thanks !

It’s fun to do if you have not. There are a few hotels in West that have package deals: lodging, sled rental and tour.
Wife and I used to go before kids when you could bring your own 2 smoke sled and go unguided. Went a decade ago with package deal and rental 4 banger Trail sleds. It was ok. West Yellowstone has the lowest recorded temps in the lower 48 so be prepared for a cold ride.

Went back in the mid 90's when you could rent a machine & go wherever you wanted, just had to be back by dark-ish. That was one of the best adventures I'd ever been on.

Went back a few years ago & had to use a guide company & felt like I was in a day care class with ropes tied around our waists. Total buzz kill.