XLR vs ?

jmillr1

WKR
So I'm in the midst of wanting to make the switch to 7mm PRC but unfortuantely I have to sell my current setup: (Shameless Plug) https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/va-apex-300prc.362207/#post-3673862

My question is this: With me likely not able to recoup the cost of that rifle (Brand New it was 4k and I added the carbon parts later) is there a better backcountry hunting specific chassis?

I've seen ya'll rave about some brands so if I have to sell my chassis and just keep the trigger barrel and action thats fine, but is there a decent LA LH Chassis out there that beats that current setup?

Thanks!

WKR

WKR
The only other chassis with comparable weight is the mdt hnt 26. But I wouldn't say it is better than the xlr element 4.0. I like the XLR over the mdt. But I prefer a mdt 2way locking folding stock adapter over the xlr folding adapter.

@XLR Maybe you guys can make a 2 way locker soon??? My xlr folder just flops open alot when I'm hiking around if I don't have it strapped.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
The only other chassis with comparable weight is the mdt hnt 26. But I wouldn't say it is better than the xlr element 4.0. I like the XLR over the mdt. But I prefer a mdt 2way locking folding stock adapter over the xlr folding adapter.

@XLR Maybe you guys can make a 2 way locker soon??? My xlr folder just flops open alot when I'm hiking around if I don't have it strapped.
so grayboe or McMillan aren’t worth it?

khuber84

WKR
I have a Hnt26, as well as xlr element 4.0mg. I personally like the hnt26 better myself. The new adjustable mag latch in the xlr is a feature I wish the mdt had. The hnt26 needs the recoil lug bedded for the best accuracy. It has less harmonics, better folder, surfaces thay don't get frigid in cold weather. Removing the hand guard for barrel swaps is a bit of a pain, but I've found a work around to that.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Interesting. I'll have to research this Hnt26. Are you guys competing or hunting or both? My comp days are gone, so I'm soley looking at a decent stock for hunting that also won't ruin accuracy.

WKR

WKR
so grayboe or McMillan aren’t worth it?
They are good but start getting too heavy depending on which model you are looking at.
Are you looking at stocks or lightweight chassis?

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
They are good but start getting too heavy depending on which model you are looking at.
Are you looking at stocks or lightweight chassis?
I'm good with either to be honest. I can see that hnt26 is considerably lighter unfortunately it doesn't come in LA left handed

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Why not just pull the barrel? Then you can always go back to the prc down the road.
Holy cow. I didn’t even give that a thought. This is why I ask questions in places like this.

No seriously I’m not being sarcastic. That’s an awesome idea. With my Lone Leak fuzion can I just swap a different barrel in? I guess I need to look into this.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Holy cow. I didn’t even give that a thought. This is why I ask questions in places like this.

No seriously I’m not being sarcastic. That’s an awesome idea. With my Lone Leak fuzion can I just swap a different barrel in? I guess I need to look into this.
Yep…if you want carbon then carbon six is running a sale. Just get a prefit and torque it on and run a go/no go gauge through it. Lots of options for steel too.

WKR

WKR
Yep…if you want carbon then carbon six is running a sale. Just get a prefit and torque it on and run a go/no go gauge through it. Lots of options for steel too.
I wouldn't plan on having that barrel anytime soon. C6 lead times are long right now.
Might have better luck finding a in stock blank and sending it to a good smith.

I had an XLR for a while and it drove me bonkers. Action screws came loose frequently regardless of thread locker, lock washers ect. and about every 3-5 shots the mag would randomly fall out. Back to Manners and McMillan for me.

Sadler

WKR
I had an XLR for a while and it drove me bonkers. Action screws came loose frequently regardless of thread locker, lock washers ect. and about every 3-5 shots the mag would randomly fall out. Back to Manners and McMillan for me.
I remember you telling me that a while back and I experienced the same thing in regards to the action screws a year or so later. Now it’s a range gun and I’m always checking the screws. Especially when I miss lol.

I’m a huge fan of XLR chassis. But that’s the only chassis I’ve tried Thought to beat

Attachments

• IMG_3738.jpeg
    IMG_3738.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 24

ID_Matt

WKR
Thousands of rounds through my XLR. Every time i try something different, I’m reminded how much i like the ergos of the XLR. It just fits like a glove. Have not had any issues with mags coming lose, mine is the adjustable and I’ve used AW and AICS. Never noticed loose action screws. Just recently had mine bedded just for another step of security, which is another benefit over the HNT26, which is not easy to bed. DFA492EF-973F-4C36-93E2-6E8BADD9A86C.jpeg

I remember you telling me that a while back and I experienced the same thing in regards to the action screws a year or so later. Now it’s a range gun and I’m always checking the screws. Especially when I miss lol.
Over the course of riding around in my SXS for a weekend of screwing around my front action screw fell completely out, I'm over it for sure.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
I appreciate all the input from everyone. I’m gonna remove my listing and just sell the XLR chassis.

Gonna pick up a McMillan or something similar and a proof barrel in 7mm

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This has been a debate since the HNT chassis came out. We have a ton of customers that like the XLR folder more because its not a 2 way locker. Their argument is less buttons to worry about and easier to handle in stressful situations. If your folder flops open then you can tighten the cross bolt to put more tension on the two pieces.

The 2 way locking folder has been noted for sure though so maybe one day we will decide to make one just not at this time.