XLR Element vs KRG Whiskey-3 for Hunting chassis?

XLR Element or KRG Whiskey-3?

• XLR

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • KRG

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

cueva

FNG
Hey guys, bit of a new hunter here. Trying to find a good lightweight stock for my Tikka T3x in 308 for overall hunting. Was recommended to get the Whiskey-3 and a friend has a good deal for it in stock near me, but looking at the specs the W3 is like 4.1lb (folding stock), which seems a bit heavy for a hunting stock?
Now I’m looking at maybe an XLR element chassis which is just 2lb. New hunter as I said, it seems like the XLR would be way better due to being half the weight yeah? Anyone have experience with both of these stocks and can comment on their comparison or what they prefer?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Tahoe1305

WKR
Hey guys, bit of a new hunter here. Trying to find a good lightweight stock for my Tikka T3x in 308 for overall hunting. Was recommended to get the Whiskey-3 and a friend has a good deal for it in stock near me, but looking at the specs the W3 is like 4.1lb (folding stock), which seems a bit heavy for a hunting stock?
Now I’m looking at maybe an XLR element chassis which is just 2lb. New hunter as I said, it seems like the XLR would be way better due to being half the weight yeah? Anyone have experience with both of these stocks and can comment on their comparison or what they prefer?

Any help would be great, thanks!
XLR won’t be that light as a folder. I think mine is closer to 40oz with the non CF grip. I’m guessing best case in the 37oz range with the CF grip. Not sure about the KRG, but the XLR can use the hawkin hunter mags which will save ~3oz over a similar capacity AICS.

So you may save close to 13-14oz over a KRG.

Not positive the cost of the W3, but the XLR to hit that weight ready to shoot will be north of $1200 during a sale (looks like $1500 now).

Last edited:

cjcavinaw

FNG
I've ran both chassis, whiskey 3 on a prs gun and XLR on a hubting rifle. The whiskey 3 as an amazing chassis but there's no way I'd ever use it for a hunting rifle. It just weighs too much. The xlr is also amazing, a little more modular and much lighter. I would go XLR

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
Folder is kind of overrated IMO… get an XLR and call it. The magnesium are super light. If I ever decide to go the chassis route it’s xlr for sure handled a bunch of models at the show a couple weeks ago they are great!

Tahoe1305

WKR
Folder is kind of overrated IMO… get an XLR and call it. The magnesium are super light. If I ever decide to go the chassis route it’s xlr for sure handled a bunch of models at the show a couple weeks ago they are great!
Folders nice if you want to carry on a pack with a suppressor.

With modest (20”) length barrel and the can off, you can have the xlr with a folder in the same footprint as the bag (not hitting anything). Or have it with a can on and sitting about as high as a non folder without a can (I.e. not horrible).

The folder is 1/4lb though and costs a bunch due to the options out there.

I’m debating trying without it this year.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Folders nice if you want to carry on a pack with a suppressor.

With modest (20”) length barrel and the can off, you can have the xlr with a folder in the same footprint as the bag (not hitting anything). Or have it with a can on and sitting about as high as a non folder without a can (I.e. not horrible).

The folder is 1/4lb though and costs a bunch due to the options out there.

I’m debating trying without it this year.
That is fair I am biased sense I don’t think I ever strap my rifle to my pack, it’s either in my hands or in a gun bearer, also my long barrels are 20-22” now have a few 16 or 18” ers just for suppressors

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
XLR won’t be that light as a folder. I think mine is closer to 40oz with the non CF grip. I’m guessing best case in the 37oz range with the CF grip. Not sure about the KRG, but the XLR can use the hawkin hunter mags which will save ~3oz over a similar capacity AICS.
The Element 4.0 MG with the carbon buttstock, ergo grip, and folder would be 35oz, 33 oz with the carbon grip (2 lbs 1 oz). So it would be a 2 lb difference between the two chassis. * Correction this is the weight for a 700 chassis. The weight varies by inlet.
For a tikka chassis with carbon buttstock, folding, and carbon grip = 36.04 ounces. So 2.25 pounds.

Last edited: