Problems with Tikka 223 and XLR Element Chassis?

Well I finally joined the Tikka 223 Rokslide Special Gang - picked up a T3X Compact. I also ordered up an XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium Chassis from J&A Outdoors. Compared to dropping my Bergara HMR 6.5CM into my first XLR Element chassis, this has been a real PITA.

Has anyone else had issues with a short action Tikka and XLR chassis?

The first issue was that the bolt release pin was too long and contacted the chassis. I had to pull it out and grind it down, reinstall the chassis, check for co-planar level, repeat. Took about 6 times grinding down to ensure the action and chassis sat flush. Now my biggest issue is that the AICS mags barely fit - with factory settings I have to drop the mag catch down lower than XLR's max adjustment range, and the release is a bit tough with so much tension.

Mag Setting.jpg

I also have issues feeding reliably, as the tip of the cartridges are sunk down and the bolt jams. I'm using a metal 10-round mag I bought from XLR, but also checked fitment with another Accurate mag I have (same issue). Not sure this is going to work for me. I love the look/fitment of the XLR chassis but might have to just run the stock setup to avoid feeding issues.

At least it shoots the factory Hornady ELD-M pretty good!

Tikka_223_Group2.jpg

There’s many reports of Tikkas not feeding well from AICS mags, a small case like 223 in 308 mags with inserts and a long action only enhances the possibility of problems. If you want to run AICS something Remington based is the way to go, Tikkas are best left with stock mags IMO. Even so my Tikka 223 doesn’t like to pick up the 3rd round from a 4 rounds mag of the 4th round from a 6 round mag. But my Impact 223 from Accurate mags feed like butter as has the dozen or so other Remington based 223’s I’ve had feeding from AICS mags from various chassis and bottom metals.

OP
swavescatter
I did run into some threads on 223 feeding, and I'll make sure to check the width of mag lips. But maybe I'll just need to give up the dream of running a chassis with this Tikka...

I guess my more specific question here is if anyone has run a Tikka in an XLR chassis. Can't imagine why my mag catch is so far off.

Why don’t you just call XLR Monday and let them deal with it? They advertise the chassis as a drop in for Tikkas so you shouldn’t have to grind on your rifle or perform voodoo on magazines to get the shit to work. Let them make it work as advertised or let them give you your money back in full since it doesn’t work.

OP
swavescatter
Why don’t you just call XLR Monday and let them deal with it? They advertise the chassis as a drop in for Tikkas so you shouldn’t have to grind on your rifle or perform voodoo on magazines to get the shit to work. Let them make it work as advertised or let them give you your money back in full since it doesn’t work.
I bought it from J/A Outdoors and called/emailed them first - they said to talk to XLR.

I called up XLR and they gave me pointers on how to grind down the bolt release pin, blamed Tikka for inconsistent pin lengths. They also gave me some advise on getting the mag to catch (at first the mag would bottom out on the action way before catching).

I checked everything they told me to check, tried other AICS metal mags, no help. They seem to be out of ideas and haven't responded to emails since Thursday. Guess I'll be shipping this back to J/A Outdoors if they can't take care of me. Really disappointing...

Yeah that’s pretty disappointing on both accounts. I’m not too surprised that JA is just interested in getting the sale and beyond that it’s “deal with the manufacturer”. You’d think a company that’s a massive tikka shop and builder would offer some kind of support on the stuff they sell when it doesn’t work.

rsltid13

FNG
I run the MDT polymer mags with mine and so far no issues (just 200 rounds of use though) wish they had a 5 rounder.

OP
swavescatter
I run the MDT polymer mags with mine and so far no issues (just 200 rounds of use though) wish they had a 5 rounder.

You have the Tikka in an XLR Element chassis? Or an MDT chassis?

XLR did not recommend polymer mags at all due to feeding issues.

Jake T

FNG
I had the same issue with the bolt pin being too long. I chose to grind the chassis rather than the pin though.

I don’t have any issues with feeding from the metal magazine. I do hate the metallic buzz/ping the mag makes. Just makes it sound cheap. So if anyone knows of a reliable polymer solution, I’m all ears.

Tikka T3x Superlite, 7mm-08, XLR Element 4.0

Jake T

FNG
Tikka in the xlr element using the MDT polymer mags. The Magpul polymer don't work (without modification )but the MDT have been fine so far.
I bought the MDT polymer mag based on this comment. I’ve cycled 20 rounds thru the rifle using this magazine. Zero feed issues. Thank you for the tip!

BlackCore

FNG
Definitely glad I found this thread. I just ordered my first chassis and I have a feeling the swap isn't going to be as smooth as I want it to be. I'll definitely keep an eye on things like this.

gtriple

WKR
Tikka in the xlr element using the MDT polymer mags. The Magpul polymer don't work (without modification )but the MDT have been fine so far.
I'll echo this comment. I run the MDT polymer mags for a 308 Tikka in either a Element or a HNT26. Other polymer mags don't work at all.

I'll echo this comment. I run the MDT polymer mags for a 308 Tikka in either a Element or a HNT26. Other polymer mags don't work at all.

Yeah, the "tikkas dont work with plastic mags" info i believe stems from when magpul was the only notable plastic AICS mag out there before MDT did them. The MDT poly mags have worked fine for me in KRG bravo equipped tikkas in 223 and 308 format.

@swavescatter - There's always the bravo to fall back on.. just not as light.