Xlite or Xtherm

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The Q Core SL is very impressive for sure, R value of 5 is awesome indeed. I just don't see the need for 3.5" I guess when I don't touch the ground with even 2.5" and my lungs will thank me. For a winter pad it sure seems like a cool concept I guess, but I always pack a CCF pad in the winter just in case anyways as no fully inflated pad puncture proof.

a3dhunter

WKR

slim9300

WKR
The regular IAC is 22 oz. so that only saving 5 oz at a cost of $160 plus tax for the Q core SL.

I'm in the same decision making process, but I have the IAC long at 24 oz and can't justify the cost for 7 oz.

For me it's not really about the weight. I am actually making a switch for no weight saving from my Medium UL7 (I am gaining some pad length however). I'm looking forward to the extra R-value and comfort. That's worth the money to me. I have a 3.5" thick DownMat 9 DLX and it's impossible to beat for sleeping on the ground. Too bad it's 44 ounces. Lol.

I did sell my LW UL7 for $100. Now I'm only $75 away. Lol.

Last edited:

trk3263

WKR
I currently have an Xlite and love it but I am also planning to switch to a quilt this season. My current setup is a BA Fishhawk bag (30 degrees) and the Xlite inside a Ti Goat Raven. Last season we got down in the 20's with one night at 17 degrees I used my base layer and reactor plus and wasn't to bad but sill could have been warmer.
The Xlite is great but my question is why not the Xtherm if there is any doubt at all. The part I like about the quilt option is you can open it all the way up so to me I don't think the XTherm would over heat me and even in the summer I could just lay on top of my quilt or just take a reactor and no quilt? I am curious and still learning but other then the 3oz and cost what other reason not to get it? My only problem now is why didn't I do my homework before buying the Xlite?

littlebuf

Banned
revive this thread. I just picked up a xlite regular. I never get cold and the xlite has a higher r rating than the pad I use now so I figured id save the weight and the money and give it a shot. 12 oz is pretty good and it certainly packs up small. I also picked up the new neo air pillow for the hell of it. ive never used an inflatable but being a side sleeper I figured the extra support might be nice. little over an ounce on the pillow I think so even with that im cutting weight on my sleep system.

I have had both the x lite and the xterm. Both are great mattresses. However the x therm can be rather warm if you are doing lots of summer backpacking or live in warmer temps. The x lite is a good medium.R value is lower but I still have stayed warm in an x lite in the low 20 degree range. Like already stated the q core is also nice I just bought the q core super light. It's a few ounces heavier than the x lite but an inch thicker.