X bolt (Hells canyon) scope mounts

Dobermann

WKR
Be sure that you watch which ring is which, there is a front and back ring and different length screws. Also don't over tighten, Browning does not give out torque specs. The threads are a bit shallow. I used loctite and snugged them down, no issues.

Two quick things: not all of them come with different screw lengths - I remember hearing a while back that this was the case, but the rings I just bought had screws all of the same length. The taller part of the base was just countersunk.

As for the base screw torque settings, I emailed Talley yesterday to check, as the ring packet doesn't give a figure; both it and their website say to contact them for the right amount.

I'd seen a few posts online suggesting 18 in lbs for the rings/tops, and 25 for the ring base screws. Talley said only 18 in lbs for both. I wrote back to double-check whether they hadn't meant 25 for the ring base screws - their reply was "Not on an Xbolt. There are only 2 threads in the gun on the front 2 screws."

So there we go - 18 in lbs for both the rings and the ring base / action screws.

T28w

WKR
Two quick things: not all of them come with different screw lengths - I remember hearing a while back that this was the case, but the rings I just bought had screws all of the same length. The taller part of the base was just countersunk.

As for the base screw torque settings, I emailed Talley yesterday to check, as the ring packet doesn't give a figure; both it and their website say to contact them for the right amount.

I'd seen a few posts online suggesting 18 in lbs for the rings/tops, and 25 for the ring base screws. Talley said only 18 in lbs for both. I wrote back to double-check whether they hadn't meant 25 for the ring base screws - their reply was "Not on an Xbolt. There are only 2 threads in the gun on the front 2 screws."

So there we go - 18 in lbs for both the rings and the ring base / action screws.
Not real reassuring if only two threads are engaging. Is this just with Talley or will be with any base?

Dobermann

WKR
perfect i will order a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench as well. thank you

The challenge with the (possibly new) Talleys for X-Bolts that have all the base screws the same length is that the countersink in the taller part of the ring doesn't allow for many torque wrench bits ... so we might be left with finger-tightening with a small Allen wrench and hoping for the best!

Dobermann

WKR
Not real reassuring if only two threads are engaging. Is this just with Talley or will be with any base?

Don't know - it's just what Talley told me.

Might be worth contacting DNZ and seeing what they provide.

Would also be interesting to find out how thick the top of the action is where the screw holes are ....

OP
F
The challenge with the (possibly new) Talleys for X-Bolts that have all the base screws the same length is that the countersink in the taller part of the ring doesn't allow for many torque wrench bits ... so we might be left with finger-tightening with a small Allen wrench and hoping for the best!
I guess I’ll just go snug with blue loctite. Hand tight then half turn

I've always used talleys on my xbolt. They work but I wouldn't buy them again just because I don't trust them as much as a solid ring/base combo. A pic rail or warne mountain tech base is where id start with a good set of rings.

Be careful to not over torque base screws, the metal is pretty thin where the base holes are so its pretty easy to strip the threads in the receiver compared to most actions.

OP
F
according to browning website you can use the standard or low mounts up to a 44mm

now if my scope is 44mm, will caps still fit with the standard/low mount?

Dobermann

WKR
Quick update: I mounted my Talleys to my X-Bolt the other day - three out of the eight holes in the receiver were drilled all the way through ... so I was wary of using Loctite on those threads, should it drip down into the action. A little disconcerting only having 5 out of 8 holes now be Loctited ... given that most bases would have a total of 4 screw holes for the two rings, this makes Browning's much-touted strength of ring mount due to 8 holes lose some of the shine - for me at least ...

OP
F
Quick update: I mounted my Talleys to my X-Bolt the other day - three out of the eight holes in the receiver were drilled all the way through ... so I was wary of using Loctite on those threads, should it drip down into the action. A little disconcerting only having 5 out of 8 holes now be Loctited ... given that most bases would have a total of 4 screw holes for the two rings, this makes Browning's much-touted strength of ring mount due to 8 holes lose some of the shine - for me at least ...
Why not just loctite them all? Then clean inside of the receiver after? A lot of rifles have threads drilled all the way through. Not a big deal

or just put the loctite on the screws let them dry a bit and get real tacky then put them in.

260madman

WKR
Remove the bolt and stuff a rag inside the action to catch any excess.

What scopes are you all putting on your hells canyon ?
Warne steel bases and rings. 3-9 Super Chicken

5ED0F8B4-3578-47FE-81AB-9E45193D1D8B.jpeg

Dobermann

WKR
Remove the bolt and stuff a rag inside the action to catch any excess.

Yeah ... although I've had blue Loctite 'leak' out for days after it was meant to be cured ...

I'll just stick with the 5x Loctited, 3x screwed to torque specs and see how it goes.

Nice looking rig, BTW!

I've had no issues with mine on an Xbolt 30 06 or 300 Win Mag. Lots of rounds thru each. Blue loctite and snug them down. All my holes were all the way thru. I also put a rag in to catch any drips, no issues!

OP
F
Is there a front Mount vs back mount on the Talleys? I didn’t open package yet but heard there was a front and back . Labeled?

also I think I read 18lbs? To your question the mounts down on the 8 bolts

bucknbass

FNG
Classified Approved
Yes Talley lightweight rings in low work perfectly on a 44mm scope. I've got them on my Hells Canyon with a VX5HD 3x15x44