Wyoming Unit 20 - First Time Out West

I will be heading to Unit 20 in Wyoming for a antelope hunt this October, it is my very first time applying for the draw anywhere and I was surprisingly lucky enough to draw. I have done plenty of online scouting and reading about antelope hunting. This is my very first time going out west for a hunt and am looking for some advice about Unit 20 if there is anyone willing to help out a first time shooter. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Small Town Iowa Boy

Rich M

WKR
I been out west for antelope once so far. Shot 2 and had to pass on 6 bucks from 25 to 200 yards, more if we include further.

Antelope are a fun hunt. Show up a day or two early and drive the unit. If you have On X you’ll know where you can hunt.

They stick out like a sore thumb. If you dont have some vision of record books, shoot the first one you like. Dont drag it out cause there will be a bunch of other guys doing the same.

So find em today, wake them up tomorrow and kill them.

You are now an antelope expert.

I had envisioned a spot and stalk thing but ended up sitting on a hill between feed and water. There was a group of hunters about 400 yards further towards the water and private about 200 yds. I got 2 that day, next day put cohunter on a doe and went for a walkabout where only seen deer and buck antelope i didnt have tags for.

If i can do it so can you. Judge your competition and beat em to the critters.

Have fun. Be on your spot at 0400 or so. If i was going back where i had been, id sleep on that hill.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
The public lands are hunted hard opening week and accessible from the CR roads and highways.
Later in season much less pressure and the antelope may be more relaxed and moving around to public areas instead of being stacked on private lands.
Either be there at first light opening day with a buck you have scouted or wait til later and have a more relaxed hunt.

OP
H
No luck yet for me. We got out here Thursday morning and there were antelope everywhere on public ground. But by Friday night everyone scared them off onto private ground. Haven’t seen a single goat on public ground since Friday afternoon.

Rich M

WKR
LoL! This is what folks dont want online.

Id say, all the goats spooked to private. Go and park yourself where the most antelope were feeding on public and wait. There is a dumb one left.

Combat hunting at its best!

Last edited: