Wyoming type 9 in Bighorns

TaperPin

WKR
I believe that was just lucky chance. I live at the Bighorns and seeing a cat is extremely rare.
It was definitely lucky to spot the covered up elk, let alone the cat! *chuckle*
Once you get a feel for where they like to hang out, it’s just a matter of time before you get a glimpse of one, but yes it’s not a common occurrence. Every time I see a hillside with deer habitat below a rim of couch and car size boulders I spend a few minutes looking for beady eyes looking back at me. :)

okcrew

FNG
I just hunted 35 in the Bighorns on a type 9 tag in September....PM me if you want info.

I wont be going back.
I've been in 35 the past couple years helping buddies and I agree the quality of that archery hunt has dramatically decreased. I think I would try a different unit before I burnt points on 35.

Jimss

WKR
There are a lot of things you may learn the hard way in several of those units! If you hunt hard and get lucky you may learn things the first time in the unit. One thing for sure, where elk are all summer they often move in dramatic fashion once the archery guys show up! Things can also change dramatically once the snow flies. I'm sure you will get some great info from guys with experience, but it can be feast or famine depending on a number of factors. That may actually be part of the reason you've heard a mixture of both good and poor reports.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda like everybody naming units in this conversation. 🥴😖
I think I'm literally the only one who's named a unit in this thread....and that's all I did. Name it. If anything, I illuded to the fact it was an underwhelming hunt, which should only help your cause if you live/hunt there.

The thread is titled type 9 in the Bighorns. Anybody with a WY big game brochure or mapping software can see the unit numbers in the Bighorns, there aren't that many of them. AND, it's +/-10 years to draw a tag as a NR in pretty much all of them.

So, I'd be real interested to hear some legitimate point from you on how my comment would impact anything?

I live in Sheridan and have hunted every unit in the Bighorns for deer, elk, bear, and even cougars. After years of spending an average of 140 days in the mountains, I've yet to see a big-game animal. It's barren and ugly, too.

Before you think I'm just a bad hunter, know this. In every other unit in WY — from the Idaho border to South Dakota and Montana down to Colorado — I've seen tons of game, so it must just be that the Bighorns are a wasteland. Such a shame....

Backyard

WKR
I live in Sheridan and have hunted every unit in the Bighorns for deer, elk, bear, and even cougars. After years of spending an average of 140 days in the mountains, I've yet to see a big-game animal. It's barren and ugly, too.

Before you think I'm just a bad hunter, know this. In every other unit in WY — from the Idaho border to South Dakota and Montana down to Colorado — I've seen tons of game, so it must just be that the Bighorns are a wasteland. Such a shame....

Now they’re naming states! Now it’s all over with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Wait a minute. So people are hunting elk in the Bighorn Mnts? Applying for a type 9 tag to do it? Am I right?

Well everyone just as well cross the state of WY off their list.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

:ROFLMAO: I've heard that same!! Moonscaped wasteland.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy and I Archery hunted unit 35 4 years ago, early Sept. Hunted with a guide so we could hunt wilderness and non wilderness areas. Hunted hard and covered A LOT of ground over 5 days. Neither of us drew back and wasn't for lack of effort. After the 15th it gets crowded.

Thanks for the heads up on the bighorns, never heard about the area until this thread. Now that I know that’s where the super influencers are dealing dirt naps I just smashed the submit button on my app.
Can’t wait to see you alll there!!!!!

There are a lot of old dudes in the Big Horns. They haul in RV's in May and stay there until the snow flies. They pile up firewood like crazy.