Wyoming type 9 in Bighorns

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
I applied for a type 9 with decent draw odds. Hoping to draw. If anyone has archery hunted the northern units in the Big Horns, I’d love to pick your brain. Shoot me a pm. Thanks

jmez

WKR
It is definitely a different type of hunt in the Bighorns.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

I think it was Dan Pickar that said he would never hunt one of those tags again because too many people.
We had a fantastic bowhunt there 5 years ago. You have to get in away from the crowds. In 10 days we saw one group of recreational horse riders and not a single hunter.

TaperPin

WKR
The bighorns also have a lot of cats - one August I spotted a partially buried bull up on a hillside in the middle of some great elk country, and not far away got a glimpse of a cat making a run for it. We didn’t have time to investigate, and the antlers weren’t large enough to make a special trip to retrieve them, but it was one of the coolest things I’ve ever come across.

A week later and probably 7 miles away another guy found some antlers from the previous year with a lot of skin and bones still intact, pulled the small 6x6 over and under the carcass was a dead cat! Craziest thing I’ve ever seen. The guy was excited about getting a shoulder mount with the cat clamped on it’s neck.

I wouldn’t have thought full size bulls are easier to kill than cows, but maybe the lack of eyes outside of a herd is easier for the cats.

Ever since that year I’ve not only glassed for animals, but also for short piles of forest litter that might be covering a half eaten carcass.

OP
E

emmagator

Lil-Rokslider
Through my research this thread trends similar to others I have come across in regards to those units. Some feel it’s a good unit (usually archery hunters), others say too crowded (seems to be typical of rifle season). I agree, lots of roads, but I hunt Oregon, so I’m used to that. Either way I’m committed, and will work toward having a fun successful hunt if I draw. County looks amazing though! Any help appreciated.

jmez

WKR
Is there an archery option in the unit for the regular, not type 9 tags? If so it will get real crowded on the 15th.

Take an ATV or UTV. Way faster than running around in a pick up. Other than Wilderness, you can't really get more than a mile from a road in the Bighorns.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
Also its probably going to be hot. Especially early season.

Bighorns carry a lot of elk...but can have quite a bit of pressure. All in all, they offer some great hunts. The elk can get pretty smart due to calling, but there's no shortage of them. If you find elk and stay in them, one will eventually find its way into bow range.

manitou1

WKR
The bighorns also have a lot of cats - one August I spotted a partially buried bull up on a hillside in the middle of some great elk country, and not far away got a glimpse of a cat making a run for it. We didn’t have time to investigate, and the antlers weren’t large enough to make a special trip to retrieve them, but it was one of the coolest things I’ve ever come across.

A week later and probably 7 miles away another guy found some antlers from the previous year with a lot of skin and bones still intact, pulled the small 6x6 over and under the carcass was a dead cat! Craziest thing I’ve ever seen. The guy was excited about getting a shoulder mount with the cat clamped on it’s neck.

I wouldn’t have thought full size bulls are easier to kill than cows, but maybe the lack of eyes outside of a herd is easier for the cats.

Ever since that year I’ve not only glassed for animals, but also for short piles of forest litter that might be covering a half eaten carcass.
I believe that was just lucky chance. I live at the Bighorns and seeing a cat is extremely rare.