Wyoming Region W Deer Herd Health

Hey guys, a couple family members and I have a hunt booked with an outfitter in this region for this upcoming October for Mule Deer. After this hard winter I am concerned about actually being able to find mature bucks like we were hopeful for after looking at the kills from years past. To answer the obvious question, yes, we have spoken with the outfitter and were told that the young and older deer were impacted severely and that those middle-aged bucks *should* have pulled through. Basically, I was told that this year is expected to be fairly normal as far as mature buck sightings goes.

I understand this Outfitter has a business to run, but I'm looking for some other input from not so much a "salesman" perspective. Should I be as concerned as I am? Is this the year to burn points?

We could push this hunt out to next year ('24) if need be, but if another hard winter happens, I would be kicking myself in the butt.

P.S. we've got more than double the number of points required to draw the region. Even with the tag cuts, I'm not too concerned about not drawing.

bdan68

WKR
Next year won't be any better and could be worse, so if you're choice is to go this year or next year, I'd say go this year.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Go hunt and have fun. IMO there will probably be a few good bucks around for the next 3ish years. We’ll really see mature buck impacts in about 4 and 5 years from now. That’s when there is going to be a couple age classes missing from the landscape.

JustHunt

FNG
Big Mature bucks will be few. Some sexually “mature” 3.5 year old bucks will be around.

Only last year was this area starting to show signs (in terms of older bucks) of recovery from the winter of 18-19. 18-19 wasnt even close to the scope of the 22-23 die off. Over the years there’s been a number of bad winter kills in other states/zones, only one other I’ve seen (16-17) was approaching this bad, and it still isn’t what it was pre winter kill. This area will follow a similar recovery pattern.

If you’re set on this area, then go kill your deer now; the 600 limited + unlimited over the counter tags will wipe up the last of them.

If you have double the points - you should “at least” be looking into region G and should be doing extensive research and putting “double the points” towards some of those limited draw late season hunts.

All in all - YES - deer will be there BUT in more limited numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Ern

WKR
Agree with kost…next year won’t be any better. With a lot of points there are much better areas to hunt.

Why do you think next year would be better? If the outfits don't cut clients, next year there will be a lot less bucks given the number lost to winter kill. A lot of people will pop a 2 year old at the end of their hunt, not leaving much for next year.

That said, I just talked to a very reputable outfitter in G about hunting this year and he said he has had over 10 of his booked hunters cancel. I'm guessing people will be canceling and points to draw will be lower this year.

I can't bring myself to pay an outfitter for deer or I'd be going to G this year. I don't have the vacation time this year to do it myself.