Wyoming Region B 2022 saw very very few deer...any feed back from others? It was BAD

They did it in the April Commission meeting. And not the same with whitetails since the public, generally speaking, is good with keeping their numbers down, but they did eliminate all pronghorn doe tags in most areas. They certainly did in my pronghorn area, which also overlapped with a Region B deer area.

I was looking for whitetail bucks after filling my buck pronghorn and mule deer tags (I have the extra type 3 there) and saw a handful of whitetail does and small bucks. Saw 30-50 mule deer on public every morning, granted it was hotter than Hades during that week I was there. Pretty cool to see one little bend in the river had a herd of 26 does and fawns and little bucks altogether in one place. Looked like a good fawn ratio for the future.
Ok, I was not aware and stand corrected. However, I will contend that they could/should have taken that action 2-3 years ago.

Maybe, but 10 is in the same shape and tags are very limited.
Yep. Those deer were in their population objective range just 3 years ago. The decline correlates specifically with the start of the super hot and dry drought we had for 3 summers in a row. Should start turning around. The habitat looked great after this year.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yep. Those deer were in their population objective range just 3 years ago. The decline correlates specifically with the start of the super hot and dry drought we had for 3 summers in a row. Should start turning around. The habitat looked great after this year.

Population is way down as of 2021, deer were almost nonexistent. But right across the border in SD the same drought has been present but deer and antelope numbers are stable. I don't think there is anyone with boots on the ground there even with the collar program.

Population is way down as of 2021, deer were almost nonexistent. But right across the border in SD the same drought has been present but deer and antelope numbers are stable. I don't think there is anyone with boots on the ground there even with the collar program.
Yeah, I think the closest collars in Wyoming are the Laramie Mountains deer. There are some down in Bates Hole, too. But none out in the prairie country that I know of. Would be interesting to know what's caused their rapid decline for sure. Especially since it's in an area with domestic sheep that's heavily aerial gunned for yotes and unlimited mountain lion harvest.

Fatcamp

WKR

I don't know if it's still ongoing. From our first trips in say 2016, compared to our trips in 2021 and 2022, the population has plummeted. Like night and day difference.

Fatcamp

WKR
I will share that a member here who is an invasive species expert from the front range of Colorado had an elk tag, and he is of the opinion that it is covered in cheatgrass and the sage is over-rated. Not a huge surprise.

ETA: Overgrazed, not over rated.

Last edited:

I don't know if it's still ongoing. From our first trips in say 2016, compared to our trips in 2021 and 2022, the population has plummeted. Like night and day difference.
Boy, was I wrong! Haha. Thanks for sharing man. Sounds like their fawn numbers crashed.

You made me curious so I looked it up in the reports. 2019 there were 74 fawns per 100 does. 2020 there were only 41 per 100. 54 in 2021, and 59 in 2022.

I think conventional wisdom says 60-65 can be a stable population, but you gotta get over that to build.
e03.jpg

manitou1

WKR
I will share that a member here who is an invasive species expert from the front range of Colorado had an elk tag, and he is of the opinion that it is covered in cheatgrass and the sage is over-rated. Not a huge surprise.

ETA: Overgrazed, not over rated.
1000% yes.
The public land here is raped and pillaged by livestock.

I have had more than one great hunting spot ruined in a matter of weeks or months by cattle and sheep both.