Wyoming Options?

So I am more then likely moving to Cody within the next couple of months for work. Since I have missed all the draws would there be any options to hunt elk this year or would my only option be to go into Montana with a general tag? Any advice is appreciated

wyosteve

WKR
Check right around July 1. The draws are over by then and the leftover tags will be available.

Yes there still is a chance to hunt. Like mentioned above check back on July 1. I would also immediately start sending mail to Wyoming as soon as you can. That starts your year residency from that date.

OP
S
I wish it was that easy. In Wyoming you have to change license, mail, and I even believe your vehicle registration. From a year that you do that is when your eligibility starts. I actually would miss being a resident next year too.

So the next question. Can you get by with applying as a resident if you have not lived there a year?

Are there any decent units in Montana just north of Cody.

According to the website you must physically reside for one full year immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, permit, preference point, or tag and shall not have claimed residency elsewhere. To me this means that no, since if you draw a tag it means you purchased a tag. You have to live in Wyoming a year before applying as a resident.
As I have never personally completed a Montana hunt I won't speak to that.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in a similar predicament. I've taken a job in Lander that starts in September and I won't be able to draw for resident until the 2017 season. I do have nonresident points though for elk, mule deer, and pronghorn though for 2016 so may try to use those before I lose my points.

Might try purchasing some nonresident points for a nonresident draw for 2016.

So if your moving in a few months you will have a full year behind you by the time next season rolls around. You go buy an over the counter general tag. BINGO

Great info! I wouldn't put in as a NR unless you had some good points to draw a good area as once your a resident your odds of drawing a good tag will decrease drastically.

OP
S
Are preference points not preference points? I would think it wouldn't matter if you were e resident or non resident in regards to the points

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
From what I can tell and have read, there are resident points and nonresident points. Once you actually become a resident for hunting purposes, your nonresident points are vacated.

That may not be 100% accurate and maybe someone with more experience can chime in but that's the conclusion I've come to so far.

Nonresident licenses are still pricey but I believe I have enough points in pocket to draw pronghorn and muley next year. I'm not buying another elk point this year though since I don't think I have enough to draw and the elk nonresident license is the most expensive of the three. I can wait another year to try my hand at an elk license.

OP
S
From what I can tell and have read, there are resident points and nonresident points. Once you actually become a resident for hunting purposes, your nonresident points are vacated.

That may not be 100% accurate and maybe someone with more experience can chime in but that's the conclusion I've come to so far.

Nonresident licenses are still pricey but I believe I have enough points in pocket to draw pronghorn and muley next year. I'm not buying another elk point this year though since I don't think I have enough to draw and the elk nonresident license is the most expensive of the three. I can wait another year to try my hand at an elk license.

Wow that seems retarded. I would hate to loose my Points. I will have three a piece for elk and deer this year. I would hate to loose them

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I would have three for elk if I bought them this year. I don't think that's going to be enough to draw in 2016 so I'm just going to suck it up and give up the two points I have. I am going after both deer and pronghorn though.

I try to be optimistic and look at it as I will be a resident from 2017 forward so tags should be easier to come by and a hell of a lot cheaper over the long term.

OP
S
Well sir you are right about PP. They actually do not have a point system for elk and deer so you would loose them when you go to being a resident. Sheep would carry over though.

weaver

WKR
Wyoming residents don't have a point system.
Random draw for deer elk and pronghorn.

Think they get points for sheep and moose though

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to mention that. Since the pp deadline for sheep and moose is 9/30, you'll be able to pick up points in 2016 as a resident assuming you become a resident prior to 9/30 this year.

OP
S
Do residents get drawn on a regular basis. My predicament would be keep non resident status so I can keep my points and keep acquiring them or risk loosing all my points. I will only be there for 2-3 years. Anybody have an opinion to this

Solus

FNG
Unfortunately, you cant have your cake and eat it too. Your current deer, elk, and antelope points disappear when you become a legal resident. Interestingly, your profile on the Wyo G&F website wont show them as gone, but when you leave the state in a few years and try to use them, you will find that they have wiped away those points for you. I just went through it about 3 weeks ago. Your non-res points are useless to you when you become a resident since residents, as others have mentioned, dont have a point system for deer, elk, antelope. You are unfortunately against a wall on this one... Montana has lots of general area options within a few hours drive of Cody, plenty of elk to be found.