Wyoming GMU 10/110

Headed back to Wyoming for the first time in 6 years. Planning on hunting unit 10 on a general tag as we did previously. Hunt dates are September 10th-17th 2023. That puts us out there after the Labor Day weekend rush. Has anyone hunted it in the last year and how were the elk numbers and the hunting pressure? The last time we hunted it we were on elk and then came across a group of locals who thought they owned the whole mountain and would hunt within a 100 yards of you knowing you were there already.

OP
N
What kind of surprise lol? It was good hunting last time but we never went into 110. I have a friend who hunted 10 a lot while he lived out there so that’s where we spend most of our efforts. Not afraid to hike and get away from roads even if we have to carry our food and camp.

I have hunted it a few times. Beetle kill is now minimal after the burn, which unfortunately drew in A LOT of pressure. You simply won’t be able to get away from other hunters but can still have a good hunt.

drra

FNG
I've hunted some burn areas a few years after burns in Idaho and had good luck Bear hunting (and mushrooms). It actually made it a little easier from the aspect that it was easier to see more than fifty feet.

Laramie

WKR
Hunted both last year and the year before. The entire Snowy Range, save 11, is a sh!t show imo since the fire in 2020. The archery and rifle pressure in unburned areas is drastically higher. The Mullen fire really concentrated the resident hunters from Laramie and Cheyenne who historically hunted the burned areas. Some of the pressure has also bled over to the areas west of the Snowies. A guy might still shoot an elk but don't expect any of southern Wyoming to be the same as it was 6 years ago.

Laramie

WKR
I've hunted some burn areas a few years after burns in Idaho and had good luck Bear hunting (and mushrooms). It actually made it a little easier from the aspect that it was easier to see more than fifty feet.
This was a bad enough fire that it scorched some areas to the point nothing is growing still. It altered entire migration corridors. Not your average go hunt it 2 years later kind of fire...

All those areas have changed considerably, even in the last 2 years. That fire burned hot and killed the earth. That was fire that you can still smell the smoke and swear the fire is still burning today. Not trying to be a debbie downer, but that area will be different. Also, with the increase in grizzly population and wolves in the north, the local residents tend to go that direction. Full disclosure, I hunt one of the areas in the south. I won't be posting that. :)

Hunted this area last year as a non resident from CO. Man was I disappointed. Spent about 7 days total archery and back rifle for 8 days. I saw two bulls during archery, 200 yards and moving away...BAJILLION people out there...too many open roads and folks not even hunting SxS joy riding everywhere. Very difficult to get away from crowds. I won't be going back to that area. Now you get a moose tag...different story....however ya gotta get the tag first.

mtndo

FNG
I've hunted that area since the early 80's. It used to be there were lots of places to get away from other hunters. Like most places these days there are more and more hunters making it more difficult to find an area you can have to yourself. That being said, I last hunted in unit 10 in September of 2019 and took a decent 5x5 with my long bow and overall had a great hunt and didn't run into many hunters. One of my sons lives in Laramie and he says, as someone else also said, it's a real shit show now. He says the area is just overrun with hunters now including areas that just a few years ago you could almost have to yourself. The elk are there but expect to hunt hard and don't think you have to get a long way off the road. A few years ago I found elk hanging out within 300 yards of a well traveled road. The amount of sign indicated they were spending a LOT of time in there while everybody passed on by. Good luck.

Laramie

WKR
I've hunted that area since the early 80's. It used to be there were lots of places to get away from other hunters. Like most places these days there are more and more hunters making it more difficult to find an area you can have to yourself. That being said, I last hunted in unit 10 in September of 2019 and took a decent 5x5 with my long bow and overall had a great hunt and didn't run into many hunters. One of my sons lives in Laramie and he says, as someone else also said, it's a real shit show now. He says the area is just overrun with hunters now including areas that just a few years ago you could almost have to yourself. The elk are there but expect to hunt hard and don't think you have to get a long way off the road. A few years ago I found elk hanging out within 300 yards of a well traveled road. The amount of sign indicated they were spending a LOT of time in there while everybody passed on by. Good luck.
Yeah the difference between 2019 and 2022 was drastic from a pressure standpoint and a herd standpoint. It's not even close to the same hunt now.