Wyoming general Non-res questions

My buddy went up to the north eastern part of the state this past fall on a pronghorn hunt. He was successful and also said they saw plenty of mulies in the public land areas they hunted. This was early October.

Got me looking into it and I’m considering applying for what appears to be an unlimited draw for the general season. I’m assuming that is how it works for non-res general areas?

My understanding is that I apply for a non-res deer region and can hunt any legally open public general unit within said region? Is private a different tag/draw or am I allows to hunt private with permission on the general tag?

I also realize that nothing is a gimme, but is it a pretty good guarantee to get drawn in those type areas? He got drawn for that region to hunt pronghorn rifle first time ever applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
You are correct. A general tag for a 'Region' will let you hunt any numbered unit in that region. You can hunt private in that region as well, so long as you have permission.

You are correct. A general tag for a 'Region' will let you hunt any numbered unit in that region. You can hunt private in that region as well, so long as you have permission.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that's entirely true. There are occasionally numbered areas within a region that are "Limited Quota Areas" and are not included in that Region tag. For instance, in Region B, areas 10 and 22 are excluded with a General Tag.

wapitibob

WKR

not true
read the regs, always
You can hunt the gen areas within the region, not the LQ areas. Spelled out clearly.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

southLA

WKR
Most genera
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that's entirely true. There are occasionally numbered areas within a region that are "Limited Quota Areas" and are not included in that Region tag. For instance, in Region B, areas 10 and 22 are excluded with a General Tag.
Correct. You can hunt all the GENERAL areas within that Region.

Most general areas can be hunted with just a few points. But just save up your points and hunt G ;)

OP
Haulinbass02

That’s my understanding as well.

OP
Haulinbass02
Most genera

Correct. You can hunt all the GENERAL areas within that Region.

Most general areas can be hunted with just a few points. But just save up your points and hunt G ;)

Soooo is there not a likelihood of drawing a hunt region with NO points? Is that the position I find myself

WCB

WKR
Soooo is there not a likelihood of drawing a hunt region with NO points? Is that the position I find myself

Look at the draw statistics on the WYGF website for the Region you are looking at. I've hunted a couple different regions in what would be considered NE WY including the most NE region. To say there are "plenty" of mulies on public is a reach. There maybe be plenty of the species but anything with head gear will be a but harder to find and after the first few forkies get killed it can get very slim picking quick. Not that there aren't some there but even a couple points may put you into a little better hunting numbers wise.

Scottf270

WKR
The very northeastern area in Wyoming is mostly all private. The Game and Fish says not to even put in for that area if you don't have private land access.

I think this makes tags much easier to draw than areas with a lot of public. But I agree, you better have a good public area in mind or have private access.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming hunt planner on the game and fish website would answer most of your questions

Goatboy22

FNG
When I lived in Sundance, the region was draw for non-residents, but any resident who hadn't killed a deer during the earlier seasons could hunt northeast wyoming on an un-filled tag. We were over-run with with resident hunters looking to fill the freezer with anything with 4 legs. The hunters from Gillette alone made it a circus. This was 20 plus years ago. Unless you have access to private land, I would pass.

jhemphunt

FNG
I agree with Goatboy22. A couple years ago we deer hunted the same area he mentioned above and the public land was a circus. Wyoming residents driving all over the place on public land. As us non-residents were trying to hike into areas, and when you got there, here comes a truck or utv driving on into the same areas. Complete S*** show imo...

wytx

WKR
Was the reason they saw plenty of mule deer in Oct because the season opens in Nov. ?
If you're talking the region in the very NE part it took at least 1 PP to be guaranteed a license.
Buy a PP now if you can, for next year's draw.

And yes, a lot of residents that don't fill their licenses elsewhere go up to that part of the state for Nov. hunting.

Rich M

WKR
Wytx makes it pretty clear. If the unsuccessful res guys go there, you gotta ask why.

I did a speed goat hunt there. Saw a nice muley buck on public. Saw a forky on public. Saw 999 does on public. Saw plenty of small to middlin bucks on private. They’ll come to public looking for some girls. Just dont expect big bucks.

KC1

FNG
Headed there Nov 1, I'll let you know how bad or good it is. I have a buddy that's hunted that region A area 2 quite a few years. He's taken some nice whitetail and seen some nice Mulies, but they've always been on private.