Wyoming Elk Rifle season

Wapiti87

FNG
Hi all,
A friend and I are going to wyoming for a rifle elk hunt. We will be hunting a couple of the southernmost units along Colorado (trying to not be too specific) oct 15 for 6 days. I know these units get pretty crowded. I was just wondering how the crowds are compared to Colorado as that’s the only experience I have. Also if I can avoid pressure in these units? Will the elk be bugleing or quiet due to pressure? And any pointers anyone might have. If you would like to PM me to keep things off this post I’m sure most people would appreciate that too. Thanks, good luck and happy hunting

JK_CO

FNG
Well, by being close to Colorado I think it is safe to assume that you're going to have plenty of people. Archery season where we hunt you'll come across maybe 2-3 folks across 5 square miles. Same area in rifle and it is 10x that for number of hunters.

Laramie

WKR
Pressure is extraordinarily high on the weekends. During the week, it is a little better but there are still people everywhere. Only way to get away from roads and people is to hunt the very steep stuff that most others don't want to hunt.

Virtually every Cheyenne and Laramie resident that hunts elk will be out there. Those areas are also very desirable to non-residents since there aren't any grizzly issues. Plenty of elk are killed but most people going in blind really struggle.

I would also point out that quite a few elk died this past winter on The Baggs side of the mountain so there are less to pursue if you are hunting that side.

Good luck and wear plenty of orange.

You'll have some company so plan accordingly, and like mentioned don't skimp on the orange even though minimal is required. When my son shot his bull in one of those southern areas two years ago there were people setup about 75 yards behind him, neither party knew the other were there. He shot and high-fived his mom and the guys came walking up and asked "Well, did you hit him?"