Wyoming Elk Preparation

maine

FNG
I am going on my first elk hunt this year and drew a general tag in the western zone of Wyoming. I reviewed the harvest data and herd populations in the various areas, made a spreadsheet and map and narrowed it down to a handful of units I am considering, based on where the grizzly population is the lowest as I will most likely be going solo. I won’t say the units because I know that’s frowned upon but feel free to DM me. It will be south of Jackson/Dubois. I subscribed to outdoor class (didn’t find it super helpful) and ElkNut (helpful) and have been watching some videos on scouting, tactics, etc. I’ve also been exercising and rucking in the mountains to prepare physically. I’m just wondering what else I can do to prepare, which books/videos/content I should follow to make the most effective use of my time for the next two months. I’m having a hard time narrowing down the huge swaths of land to where I should hunt. I am in MT and can make a few scouting trips. Should I call the local biologists to get a sense of pressure in the area, which areas of private ranches they tend to move toward, burn areas, etc? I’ve archery hunted deer for a number of years and am looking forward to the new challenge. I’m really just only going for a legal bull, maybe even a cow. Sorry if this post gives FNG energy, just really excited for the hunt and want to make sure I’m on the right track, and shift gears if need be. Also, if anyone else is going solo and want to help each other out, feel free to message me.

LFC911

WKR
Once every 4-5 year tag, grizzly country, no access to wilderness...I would consider hiring a guide for WY. Don't know if that's an option but that is my .02...I've gotten several emails from outfitters in the West zone that are looking for hunters and discounting their fees.

OP
M

maine

FNG
Not really an option financially at the moment, prices online I’m seeing are quite out of my range.

vladkgb

FNG
I drew a south general tag this year, it will be my first time bow hunting Wyoming. I've narrowed down to a general area that has the most elk and highest harvest success and have been e-scouting it a ton. I already have a plan A of where I'm going to start and have plans B thru Z if that doesn't work out.

First I find areas that are furthest from roads and trails, then i find knobs to glass/call from and mark routes to them. Then I look at north facing thick timber areas in Google Earth and mark any wallows or meadows I see. Also mark benches and saddles in these areas, so I have a good idea of where they could be headed or coming from.

Make routes that take you in a big circle hitting up your glassing locations along the way and other points of interest like saddles and meadows.

I stay mobile and use a SxS or e-bike to get around, so my strategy is to get to those knobs before daylight and call, and keep moving, calling into different holes until I find Elk. The game is eliminating spots where Elk aren't.

As a FNG I've made the mistake of hiking 10+ miles per day in one area just hoping I bump into elk or one answers my calls. I ended up bumping elk and being exhausted. I'm going to do shorter hikes that take me to glassing knobs instead from now on. If I can take my vehicle there, even better. I'll also be changing spots often.

If you can scout it that will give you a huge advantage. I won't be able to since I live 12 hrs away.

For content, check out the Elk collective. I found it more useful than the courses you listed, even Elknut is in there. Elkbros academy is pretty good too. Remi warren's podcasts on Elk hunting are great too and free.

huntnful

WKR
I would initially look for some mid elevations burns if they’re available in your unit/units. They will more than likely have a healthy elk population!

Find some glassing vantages also. You can only hear elk from a few thousand yards, and that’s only if they’re talking. But you can see them from literally miles and miles away.

Don’t get too wrapped up in “talking to elk” and spend all of your time practicing a diaphragm. It’s a nice tool to have, but definitely unnecessary. They’re not a super wary animal because they create kind of a chaotic environment within themselves (they’re constantly moving, chewing & mewing) which makes them fairly easy to stalk in close too, without making any noise. Just get in the mix and let them move around until you kill one.

taskswap

WKR
Watch a video or two on the "gutless" method for field-dressing elk, if you haven't already, and get some good game bags. Lots of threads here on peoples' preferences for those.

Good luck!

OP
M

maine

FNG
Watch a video or two on the "gutless" method for field-dressing elk, if you haven't already, and get some good game bags. Lots of threads here on peoples' preferences for those.

Good luck!
Absolutely, thanks!

OP
M

maine

FNG
I would initially look for some mid elevations burns if they’re available in your unit/units. They will more than likely have a healthy elk population!

Find some glassing vantages also. You can only hear elk from a few thousand yards, and that’s only if they’re talking. But you can see them from literally miles and miles away.

Don’t get too wrapped up in “talking to elk” and spend all of your time practicing a diaphragm. It’s a nice tool to have, but definitely unnecessary. They’re not a super wary animal because they create kind of a chaotic environment within themselves (they’re constantly moving, chewing & mewing) which makes them fairly easy to stalk in close too, without making any noise. Just get in the mix and let them move around until you kill one.
Thanks for the tip! That’s good to hear about the calling as I’m not very confident in that skill set. I’m pretty bad at the moment but want to at least be proficient enough to sound believable with a diaphragm if I can spot &stalk, get in close and make it happen from there. I appreciate the advise!

OP
M

maine

FNG
I drew a south general tag this year, it will be my first time bow hunting Wyoming. I've narrowed down to a general area that has the most elk and highest harvest success and have been e-scouting it a ton. I already have a plan A of where I'm going to start and have plans B thru Z if that doesn't work out.

First I find areas that are furthest from roads and trails, then i find knobs to glass/call from and mark routes to them. Then I look at north facing thick timber areas in Google Earth and mark any wallows or meadows I see. Also mark benches and saddles in these areas, so I have a good idea of where they could be headed or coming from.

Make routes that take you in a big circle hitting up your glassing locations along the way and other points of interest like saddles and meadows.

I stay mobile and use a SxS or e-bike to get around, so my strategy is to get to those knobs before daylight and call, and keep moving, calling into different holes until I find Elk. The game is eliminating spots where Elk aren't.

As a FNG I've made the mistake of hiking 10+ miles per day in one area just hoping I bump into elk or one answers my calls. I ended up bumping elk and being exhausted. I'm going to do shorter hikes that take me to glassing knobs instead from now on. If I can take my vehicle there, even better. I'll also be changing spots often.

If you can scout it that will give you a huge advantage. I won't be able to since I live 12 hrs away.

For content, check out the Elk collective. I found it more useful than the courses you listed, even Elknut is in there. Elkbros academy is pretty good too. Remi warren's podcasts on Elk hunting are great too and free.
Congrats on your tag, hope it goes well! You seem quite prepared, I definitely will be doing much more scouting myself both on the computer and on the ground. I feel like being adaptable and having backup plans defending on weather/pressure/road conditions is huge. That seems like a really good strategy and makes a ton of sense. I really appreciate you imparting the lessons learned from your first experience to shorten the learning curve for me!! I know a lot of people use horses and ATVs/ebikes where allowed and that seems like a good option but I don’t know if I can swing it monetarily. I might try to find areas where I can park at higher elevations so that I can glass early without burning too much daylight or hiking in the dark in bear country. I also probably can’t go more than 2-3 miles from the truck since I’ll be solo and am worried about spoiling meat in the early season anyway. Very very helpful though thank you. I will check out that content, I’ve heard good things so it’s good to confirm it’s worth it.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
I'm Pretty sure that at one time CONFUCIUS must have said; MAN WITH 25LB PACK COVER MORE GROUND, THAN 50LB FOOL...
The first day will work that out for itself.