Wyoming Bison

@fulldraw

FNG
So how many others applied for a Wyoming Bison tag as a non resident? I initially applied thinking I would have decent odds of drawing given the pricey tag fee and requirement of fronting the cost and I am wondering how many others had the same idea. My concern is that I drew an Elk tag in NM that I really did not think I would pull so I am sweating bullets waiting on May 9th to arrive. It will be a very fun 2019-2020 hunting season either way.

JWP58

WKR
I work with a guy that drew a cow bison last year. Said it was a war zone goat rope when they finally moved out of the park....like hit the deck rounds incoming stuff. He went multiple times (as a resident) and said he'd never apply again.

Just an fyi, figured I pass that anecdotal story along.

The $5000 scared me from applying. Didn’t know what I’d do if I would have drawn the tag and the bulls didn’t move out of the park. I would have been one unhappy guy.

Scottyboy

WKR
I work with a guy that drew a cow bison last year. Said it was a war zone goat rope when they finally moved out of the park....like hit the deck rounds incoming stuff. He went multiple times (as a resident) and said he'd never apply again.

Just an fyi, figured I pass that anecdotal story along.

I heard the exact same story from a guy with a bull tag. People trying to tag his bull, genuine safety concerns and everything in between

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
Yep had a cow tag this past year as a resident. I wouldn't apply again unless the hunt changes

TheCougar

WKR
I heard many of the same things when I looked into the hunt. And then they doubled the price! That pretty much settled it for me.

OP
@

@fulldraw

FNG
Well, sounds like I should add Kevlar to my packing list if I do draw.

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
If you draw a bull just hunt the forest early and avoid the late season elk refuge firing line. You'll be fine

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I know two residents that both drew bulls last year and they hunted the forest early and killed before snow even started falling. They didn't mention any issues of over crowding. I've heard the refuge can get pretty busy though.

locofife

FNG
I put in as a resident this year, but with my luck I doubt I'll have to worry about going out to shoot one anyway. If I do happen to draw, I'm sure I'll try to get out several times including in the early season.

I drew a region 2 cow/calf license. Any advice? Sounds like I shouldn't even apply for Elk refuge permit. Is there realistically enough bison off refuge for a good hunt? Thanks for any info.