Wyoming Antelope Preference Points - For Next Year?

E.Shell

FNG
I plan to do a non-resident antelope hunt with a resident buddy next fall (2025) if I'm drawn.

My friend out there suggests I purchase a 'Preference Point' now. I guess his reasoning is that I would be one point ahead if I buy one this year and buy another next year with my license.

When I go to the WY Game & Fish site, it looks like I need to buy a license now too, which I don't want/need for this year:

"We will immediately charge your card for the full amount of the license fee, preference point fee, application fee and any donations...".

Looks like I have until the end of October to accomplish this, if I can indeed do it.

How do I go about doing this and ONLY buying a preference point this year? Can it be done?

Thank you!!

To my knowledge, only the 1 point can be leveraged in 2025. And you will only be allowed to buy your second point if you don't draw your first choice in 2025.

ORHunter

WKR
You can buy a point right now without paying for the tag.

You also won't be able to buy a point next year when you apply, so if you buy a point this year you will only have 1 point going into next year's draw.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
It will take you 5-10 points to be assured a tag in an average unit. It will probably take 8-18 points to get a tag in the better units.

A non-preference point draw odds is in the 1-5% odds for most units.

If you are hunting private land, you might have better odds in unit that has no public with no or very few points.

mthayr

WKR
In all likelihood, if you want to hunt Wyoming antelope next year, you will need to buy a preference point this year, and even then... look for next year's opportunity on private (a ranch/outfitter) that will offer some sort of landowner opportunity. You may also need to apply for the "special" tag ($1000) vs. the regular tag ($350) for the increased odds, so i'd start looking around now, not next year.