wyoming antelope hunt...? no points, non res.

I am preparing myself to get bombarded with hateful comments for some reason. I figured I'd ask anyway, maybe someone can help me out here.
My boyfriend and I are wanting to go to WY for a public land, DIY speedgoat hunt. I have experience hunting big game in CO. I have no points. Im not sure where to start. I don't care about getting a buck tag this year. If someone could be so so so kind as to point us in the right direction as to what units we should apply for to get a non resident doe tag. I am 23 and I'm still newer to western hunting- i know its different than over here in the south. I'm just trying to learn!!! I have been reading but there is SO much information that I'm starting to get a little lost... Thank you in advance for the help.😊

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to rokslide! Yes it can be confusing to understand all the ins and outs of picking a unit and along with crowding it’s become coveted information that people spent years to discover for themselves. I’m sure some will chime in with some resource material for you dive into but we don’t publicly give away units or specifics about units.

Sled

WKR
It's a lot easier to get a tag near private lands. The north east seems to be the easiest but I haven't hunted there. Unfortunately areas that I have hunted took a really hard hit last winter and tags are still hard to come by across most of the state.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Nice first post. I hope nobody offers help. There are less and less opportunities like what you’re describing and posting on the World Wide Web for all to see is a great way to decrease the opportunities even more.

I suggest digging into the draw odds for each state and learning the few secrets that are left, rather than asking on a forum that gets tens of thousands of views a day!

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I just drove through eastern Wyoming. Based on the amount of antelope I’ve seen there and the availability of tags, I’d recommend looking for a unit on gohunt with good draw odds and going. You’re gonna find antelope if you have a tag.

EdP

WKR
My response to a similar question:

Look at the responses to similar recent posts for hints on how to pick a unit using past draw odds and 2024 quota data when available. Look at "Mule Deer Wyoming Options" in the Mule Deer forum.

PS: I realize you asked about pronghorn but the process is the same as for MD. The proposed quota numbers are now available and the commissioner meeting to approve the proposed numbers is next week. The info is on the Wy G&F site. Click on "Get Involved" and "Public Meetings."

Laramie

WKR
I am preparing myself to get bombarded with hateful comments for some reason. I figured I'd ask anyway, maybe someone can help me out here.
My boyfriend and I are wanting to go to WY for a public land, DIY speedgoat hunt. I have experience hunting big game in CO. I have no points. Im not sure where to start. I don't care about getting a buck tag this year. If someone could be so so so kind as to point us in the right direction as to what units we should apply for to get a non resident doe tag. I am 23 and I'm still newer to western hunting- i know its different than over here in the south. I'm just trying to learn!!! I have been reading but there is SO much information that I'm starting to get a little lost... Thank you in advance for the help.😊
I feel similar to some of the other guys above. Do your own work. That said, I will save you some time.

Any tags with decent access will have terrible odds in the doe fawn drawing. The tags you can draw easily will be in areas with a lot of private land. My guess is a 23 year old girl might be able to gain access from some old ranchers if you try. Many of them have a soft spot for female hunters.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not that hard to look on the Wyoming hunt planner on their website for antelope doe tags. Look at public land percentages and look at non resident draw odds. Pick a few units and decide based on draw odds. Asking for units to apply for is basically asking someone else to do the research for you. Sign up for an application service with huntinfool or TAGS if you want someone to work for you.

OP
L
Nice first post. I hope nobody offers help. There are less and less opportunities like what you’re describing and posting on the World Wide Web for all to see is a great way to decrease the opportunities even more.

I suggest digging into the draw odds for each state and learning the few secrets that are left, rather than asking on a forum that gets tens of thousands of views a day!
i knew there would be a response like this. Im sorry if it offended you. i asked for a point in the right direction or a helping hand. No where did i say to do all the work for me. if you cannot read, i am VERY NEW to all of this. my apologies.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Step #1 is getting the tag. With no points your going to have either get lucky or hunt a unit few others are willing to apply for.

Most of the less desirable units have limited public land which opens up possibilities if your willing to pay for access or spend time knocking on doors trying to get permission.

After getting the tag then you can further break the unit down and decide the next best course of action.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
My advice for you and anyone else is to figure out what you really want and then shoot for the moon. I'd never encourage someone to go hunt antelope does if they want to ultimately shoot a buck. Make your trip mean something more than "i went hunting".

You're only a couple hours away, I had to drive cross country to get there.

Last edited:

CBar

FNG
Having OnX, the draw odds, a big sack of gas money, and a willingness to knock on a few doors is a great recipe for pronghorn success.
^^ agreed. After last winter’s mortality studies, WYGFD significantly reduced doe fawn tags across the state. After working through the Hunt Planner to learn about the unit quotas, apply for a tag. IF you draw, and that’s a much bigger IF than in years past, contact the local office game warden. They’re generally very helpful and could possibly give you local landowner names to ask permission. Just keep in mind that if you do start knocking on ranch doors you are imposing on their day, so be super polite and respectful.

Ucsdryder

WKR
i knew there would be a response like this. Im sorry if it offended you. i asked for a point in the right direction or a helping hand. No where did i say to do all the work for me. if you cannot read, i am VERY NEW to all of this. my apologies.
Spoiler alert… OP is actually a guy and knew everyone would help a girl! 😝

Of course you knew you’d get this response because you’re asking a question most guys spend years figuring out and aren’t wanting to give it away on a public forum that would result in their hard work instantly getting ruined.

if you’ve been around long enough to know, the responses you were going to get, you also know that there are plenty of websites that will help you get that information. If you’re truly just looking to get pointed in the right direction, it has been given 1000 times over on this forum.

Reactions: OMB

Erict

WKR
If you only plan on shooting a doe/fawn antelope then you should tell the landowner up front.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
I just drove through eastern Wyoming. Based on the amount of antelope I’ve seen there and the availability of tags, I’d recommend looking for a unit on gohunt with good draw odds and going. You’re gonna find antelope if you have a tag.
Those antelope are all on private land by noon opening day brother.