WY elk hunt might be ruined

OKhunter

FNG
Well I drew a general elk tag this year and was excited about going until last week when docs diagnosed me with pneumonia. Not sure if I will be healthy by the season and if my lungs will be able to handle the physical exertion from hiking in the mountains. We will see what happens but not happy about the situation, good luck to everyone and look forward to reading your stories.

COOL
g.png

I think wy will give you the tag next year if you have a legit medical reason. Might be worth a call to fish and game. Otherwise get better. My dad got a pneumonia last year and it put him down for 2 months. Not something to mess around with especially at altitude in the mountains. Good luck and get well

Well if it's any consolation I had walking pneumonia back in Aug (fluid in my left lung verified by xray). Id been dealing with a terrible cough and mild fever off and on for a week prior to going to the dr. I'm fine now and started running/lifting a week after my antibiotics ran out.

We're heading out for the Wyoming opener as well and I'm sorry to hear about your news. After so much preparation and anticipation, that is tough to deal with. Your health is more important than hunting and, as stated by another poster, Wyoming does offer a waiver if you cannot hunt due to medical reasons. If you are able to hunt on a more limited basis (hopefully with others to assist you), you could sit wallows, meadows, travel corridors, etc. Though possibly not your ideal hunting scenario, you'd at least be out there and "in the game". The challenge would be if you got an animal down because of the physical exertion required to process and pack it out. I wish you the best...God Bless

That stinks! I'd definitely call the G&F of WY. They are very good about this kind of thing if you can get a Dr's note saying you're not able to make it there. My only concern is that it's the middle of the season and their exceptions typically come before the season starts, but if I were in your shoes I'd definitely call and explain your sitution. My guess is that they will take care of you.

More importantly, rest up and heal up. Pneumonia is nothing to mess with.

Get on the antibiotics! How much fluids in your lungs???

Going to elevation with fluid already in your lungs is never a good good idea, but Who may tell you to wait it out as they have a long season. . . I'd call and talk with them and see if you can turn the tag in and get your points reinstated

Pneumonia is nothing to fool with, especially if you are older. Get healed up and worry about the hunt afterwards. @Farmerlentz mentioned contacting the F&G, definitely do that and see what they can do for you.

Wyoming is pretty understanding of these situations. I would definitely call ASAP and see what they say. I would imagine that prior to Sept 1, they would have said you could return your tag and be good to go for next year. Now that season has started, you may be out of luck. I would certainly call though. I have had nothing but positive experiences when picking up the phone and calling anyone that works for Wyo F&G

Thanks everyone for your well wishes I called today but no go since the season has started. I am in my 30s so hopefully when I kick it I will be able to get and get active.

Back