WTB binos for my son - $300ish

eric1115

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all, son is turning 9 and is going to be coming with me for a couple days this year before he gets to go next year with his own tag. He has a pair of compact 6x that do fine, but I'd love to get him started glassing off a tripod with some 10x42ish that he can grow into for his main pair. I have a tripod for him, but need the glass.

Trying not to dip into his first rifle fund, so trying to stay in the $250-300 range. Money is tight, as he is the oldest of 5!

Thanks for reading!
Eric

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vanguard endeavor ED lifetime warranty , good glass , don’t get the spirits as they have limited warrenty

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new pair of Leupold BX-2 Acadia's in 10x50 I'll let go for you and your son for $225 + whatever shipping is. Leupold sent these to me as replacements last season for another pair, and they have been sitting in my safe. I've been using a pair of Leica's that I got a heck of a deal on.

PM me if interested or if you want pics

KSArcher06

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pair of 10x42 diamondbacks that come with the case and original box and neck strap for $155.00 tyd there in the classifieds if you wanna look at them. Thanks

Boxermick

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Leupold Mojave 10x42 that are a few years old (green ring). I’d send these off for $150. Couple them with a moderately priced tripod and he’ll be spotting game for sure.

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look @ the Maven C1 - 10x42 - new $350,

Better to buy quality first time then not have to worry about getting him another pair, until he’s old enuf to pay for his own, haha.
They have a lifetime no fault warranty too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Look @ the Maven C1 - 10x42 - new $350,

Better to buy quality first time then not have to worry about getting him another pair, until he’s old enuf to pay for his own, haha.
They have a lifetime no fault warranty too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the Maven C.1 10x42 suggestion. Get 10% off by doing their Demo program. Basically a brand new bino without the box for cheaper. I think I ended up paying $330 with shipping for the demo program. These easily outpace the Diamondbacks and are slightly better than Vortex Viper HDs and Monarch 7s (in mine and the other folks with me when we tested opinions... but to be fair, were in the same quality range). They aren't up to the next step up (Vortex Razor, Cabela's Euro/Meopta), but those are $900+, so it's to be expected.

You can get within your $300 budget if you were to get Maven's 8x42 C.1s via the demo program, I believe.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks all for the suggestions and offers, the C1 was definitely at the top of my short list of new binos. They seem like exactly what I am after, a pair that won't hold him back from learning good glassing technique and that he can put on his chest in a few years and just run until he is ready to pony up for a nice pair later.

Boxermick I will seriously consider your generous offer! Are they the HD glass, or are that generation non-hd?

kravguy

WKR
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
They aren't 10x42 in size, but I have a pair of Meopta Meopro 8x32 listed in the classifieds for $300. Probably the best glass you can get for under $500 in that size range.

Will4Rich

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set of Vortex Diamondbacks 15x50 in great shape. I upgraded and never use them. A little bigger than you mentioned but when you said tripod and not chest harness I thought I'd let you know. Like I say they are in great shape, I used them on one hunt and then got a good deal on a better set, kept as backups and never use them. I'd do $130 for just the glass and $150 for the case and strap.

Firehawk

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I also would recommend the C1. I have the 8x42 and it is terrific. My son/daughter and wife will be using these this fall while I tote my B2 9x bino.

Enjoy and take some time to show him how to use the bino correctly. Will save a lot of frustration in the long run, or really just carrying them around his neck. Don't ask me how I know this. ;o)

FH

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Absolutely. That's a big reason why I want to do a step up from the $150-200 binos. Put them on a tripod, teach him to not be moving the glass constantly. Something with a clear center but bad edge to edge gets in the way of that if he is always chasing a little sweet spot.

Boxermick

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Eric, regarding the Leupold Mojave being HD glass, I really don’t know (can anyone else chime in on that?). They have a green ring on the objective lens and I’ve used them for 3 seasons and were my first glass purchase. I’d still be using them if I hadn’t come across a good deal on Monarch HG’s. I’ll probably sell to a buddy or post on here pretty soon if you don’t want them.

Cheers,
Mick

three5x5s

WKR
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
They aren't 10x42 in size, but I have a pair of Meopta Meopro 8x32 listed in the classifieds for $300. Probably the best glass you can get for under $500 in that size range.
I have the 10x32 and very impressed with them. They are a much easier carry for weight and size than 42s. The 8s would be better for beginners alos. Add a Rick Young harness and you'll have a great small and light rig. The 32s should close up a little smaller to fit his face better if he is small.