Wrist sling for hunting?

Lawnboi

WKR
the thumb and finger makes sense to me, the other way not so much

im not saying i shoot the right way, just how i was taught

Im no archery expert, not trying to sound like a dink. Just how I do it, and its always made sense to me so I don't grasp the bow at the shot subconsciously

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a single strand of their loop material. It also has enough structure to hold its shape so it sits up just like a braided one.

Manosteel

WKR
This is a pic of my grip, you can see the sling if you look. Does it do anything, debatable but it feels good to me, my bow falls forward, (tips over) top first, lightly into my hand. Feels good and I do think the sling helps.
hunting pics 047.jpg

Last edited:

Manosteel

WKR
And I don't notice it at all when hunting, I practice so much and been hunting so long with one, my subconscious takes over when it comes down to shooting. I literally do not notice any of the little things, like my pre-shoot routine, when it comes down to harvesting an animal. It all becomes natural, like breathing, I don't think about it, I just do it.

The same thing happened when I began using a handheld release aid, I thought at first how am I going to hook this on to the dloop in time for a quick shoot? Now its just natural, I don't even think about it. My opinion, if you like it, uses it, but don't go back and forth, make it a part of your bow which you make an extension of yourself.

J-Daddy

WKR
An open hand grip IS NOT the correct way to grip a bow...People think it is because then they are not choking their grip but it's not a relaxed grip....You use a ton of hand muscles to force your grip to be open, that makes for a tense bow hand and tense muscles is not a good thing... You want your grip relaxed and fingers laying loosely at a 45degree angle to the grip.

sk1

WKR
An open hand grip IS NOT the correct way to grip a bow...People think it is because then they are not choking their grip but it's not a relaxed grip....You use a ton of hand muscles to force your grip to be open, that makes for a tense bow hand and tense muscles is not a good thing... You want your grip relaxed and fingers laying loosely at a 45degree angle to the grip.

i still consider this an open hand, but yes, definitely relaxed and not forced open,...i can obviously see how forced all the way open could be even worse than gripping the bow

Based on my experience, this is absolutely correct. I find that my shots reveal less torque when I have my hand relaxed, fingers loosely around the handle but not touching.

I also am curious, what about parallel limbs? It seems that bow jump is more common with less parallel limbs when the bow wants to jump forward. My bow doesn't go anywhere upon release, so not sure if this is a factor. Just my experience.

I use them on all my Trad bows weather bought or made by me DYI its looked down on at mose of the shoots I go to but I also run a Stab on all my Traditional gear. I to, have a very light grip on set up if not I tend to shoot left so Its a must have for me

Gumbo

WKR
I dropped my bow once when I accidentally triggered my thumb release on the draw. It was on my concrete basement floor and dinged the cams up pretty good. No wrist strap. Since then I always use a wrist strap, just like I always have a arrow on the string when I draw, but that is another story.

jmez

WKR
I use a small braided nylon string. If your bow isn't falling forward after the shot then you are grabbing the handle to prevent it from doing so. With a correct grip the pressure at full draw is what holds the bow against your bow hand. You release the string and all the momentum is going forward, unless you are physically gripping the bow or have a ton of back weight on the riser the bow has to fall forward.

Read a good article on grip recently in a bowhunting magazine. If you bottom two fingers are touching or can touch the riser without physically moving them toward the bow then your hand is not at the correct angle. Your first two fingers should be resting on the front of the riser and your bottom two resting on your palm.