Wrangellgear pack, anyone use one?

jayjay

FNG
Hello. I was wondering. If anyone has used one of the Wrangell Gear packs on a Barney’s freighter frame. They have caught my interest and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 25
I wouldn't touch a Wrangell pack until they start producing their own frames. Poor form in my opinion for them to co-opt Barneys frames and not give them proper credit nor compensation.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't touch a Wrangell pack until they start producing their own frames. Poor form in my opinion for them to co-opt Barneys frames and not give them proper credit nor compensation.

So you have no experience and can’t answer the question.

Looks like they are giving credit to Barney’s frame. Which is nothing unique. No compensation should be paid. The bag can fit on multiple frames. Doesn’t look like any patents are being used.

“The WRANGELL Revelation 7800 external frame backpack bag is designed to fit on a "Freighter Frame" style external aluminum tubing backpack frame. This style of backpack frame was originally designed by Jack Abert who founded Camp Trails; an outdoor gear company that modernized camping equipment in the mid-1900s. Jack's frame design was so successful that the design (or variations of it) are replicated by many name brand gear manufacturers such as Alps, Kelty, Mystery Ranch (formerly Dana Designs), and others. From thousands of hours of use and overwhelming feedback from users, we believe that the best "Freighter Frame" and suspension system is produced by Frontier Gear of Alaska. This backpack frame and suspension combo is the #1 choice for Alaskan Big Game guides and hardcore hunters that need a comfortable and highly durable backpack frame for hauling extreme loads with relative comfort. “

OP
J

jayjay

FNG
I didn’t think they were doing anything wrong towards Barney’s. I was just curious. I have a Barney’s frame and was curious if anyone had used one before. I like some of the features such as it being more tall than wide and the removable top that turns into a daypack.

I can't see anything wrong in making an accessory for someone else's product - in this case, a pack bag for another company's frame. Happens all the time in every industry and seems like a great thing for consumers.

AKSandman

FNG
Hello. I was wondering. If anyone has used one of the Wrangell Gear packs on a Barney’s freighter frame. They have caught my interest and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience. Thanks!

I think @Forrest.billy runs one of these. Maybe he can answer?

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Barneys frame is a nock off camp trails frame.

Edit: And the PA-18 pant is an exact copy of the keb agile from fjallraven if you want to talk about poor form. Are they compensating fjallraven ?

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
I own the 7800 bag, haven't hauled any game with it yet. I will say the construction, materials and sewing quality are top notch. I would for sure recommend it over the current pack frame bag offerings on the market if you can stomach the price.

And as far as frame capitablitly goes, I'm pretty sure the bag will fit on any standard pack frame, there's at least a dozen different manufactures out there not just Barneys.

Now if someone would make an improved waist belt for a Barney's bag, we could have the ultimate Alaskan backpack. I don't care who makes it! An improvement is an improvement period. The Wrangell bag is superior without a doubt. The Barney's frame and shoulder straps are the best currently available for what I do and I'm content with them, but the waist belt still has room for improvement. I have no problem using a system comprised of multiple brands if it results in superior performance. Competition leads to innovation and Barneys started building bags in a new fabric in what looks like a reaction to the Wrangell bags, which is an improvement but didn't close the gap much in my opinion based on design not just materials. Wrangell design reigns supreme, and I don't feel there is a bag out there that suits my needs better. Barney's has been an Alaskan small business for a long time and should be supported, but buy what's best for yourselves.

Barneys frame is a nock off camp trails frame.

Edit: And the PA-18 pant is an exact copy of the keb agile from fjallraven if you want to talk about poor form. Are they compensating fjallraven ?
Sounds like you have an issue with Kevin. Neither of those two statements are true.

A cheap Camp Trails pack is nowhere near the quality of a premium external frame pack, not to mention the actual bags.

The PA-18's are only similar in the fact that they are lightweight softshell pants that have two front cargo pockets, like lots of other outdoor hiking pants. The PA's dont have cotton reinforcements, bottom hem snaps, inner vents etc.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have an issue with Kevin. Neither of those two statements are true.

A cheap Camp Trails pack is nowhere near the quality of a premium external frame pack, not to mention the actual bags.

The PA-18's are only similar in the fact that they are lightweight softshell pants that have two front cargo pockets, like lots of other outdoor hiking pants. The PA's dont have cotton reinforcements, bottom hem snaps, inner vents etc.
The pants are basically the keb in a different material. Barneys/camp trails crossover(the original barneys frame was a camp trails frame) happened before kevin I dont have a problem with him it at all but to throw shade at wrangel gear like they stole something from barneys is a shit take

Last edited:

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I mean come on the fabric cuts are almost identical. Other people have said this about it as well its pretty obvious

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
Now if someone would make an improved waist belt for a Barney's bag, we could have the ultimate Alaskan backpack. I don't care who makes it! An improvement is an improvement period. The Wrangell bag is superior without a doubt. The Barney's frame and shoulder straps are the best currently available for what I do and I'm content with them, but the waist belt still has room for improvement. I have no problem using a system comprised of multiple brands if it results in superior performance. Competition leads to innovation and Barneys started building bags in a new fabric in what looks like a reaction to the Wrangell bags, which is an improvement but didn't close the gap much in my opinion based on design not just materials. Wrangell design reigns supreme, and I don't feel there is a bag out there that suits my needs better. Barney's has been an Alaskan small business for a long time and should be supported, but buy what's best for yourselves.
They do have a new waist belt out! Just got one for my Yukon - it is what the Barneys has been missing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"