Would you buy a Glock 45 to replace G19&20?

NEPkaspot

Lil-Rokslider
I bounce back and forth carrying a Glock 19 and Glock 20 while bow hunting, usually in a HPG kit bag with Surefire X300. There is no doubt I shoot a 9 mm much better and probably don’t need a full power 10 mm load 90% of the time. With all the ammo choices out there I’m considering getting a Glock 45 and making it my woods gun full-time. For those of you who run Glocks, is the G45 the best of both worlds?

Ehunter56

FNG
Don't own a 19 or 20, but have shot them. Bought a G45. There's just something about them that just makes me shoot better. Like it's truly just an extension of my arm. Everyone I know that has, or has shot one says the same thing. Never shot as good of groups as I do now.

I have all three. I prefer the 45 over the 19 I just shoot the full length grip better. I use my 20 as my woods gun though

MattB

WKR
Buffalo Bore has their deepest penetrating 9MM round out-penetrating their deepest penetrating 10MM round by a good margin. Just food for thought.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I think it comes down to your hand size and capacity goals.

I have a gen3 and gen 5 19, gen5 45, gen5 34.

The G19 points the most naturally for me. The grip extends past my hand so its "big enough".

I use the G34 as my competition gun and the 45 as my back up because I want the 17rd mags for competition and the G45 uses the same mags. I should have bought a second 34 but I wanted to try out the 45.

All that said, I carry a G43x in a chest holster under my bino harness hunting because its thinner and my priority shooting position is prone.

Last edited:

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Buffalo Bore has their deepest penetrating 9MM round out-penetrating their deepest penetrating 10MM round by a good margin. Just food for thought.
Second this. I carry 147gr hydra shoks in my 43x just up to the point of hunting and switch out for a mag full of Buffalo Bore 9mm +p outdoorsman bullets.

I shoot 400 rounds of 9mm a month in training and competition so it makes no sense to me to get a 10mm, a new holster frame and ammo for a gun I would probably not shoot much just to use it for an emergency on the offhand chance I need it.

It reminds of me of the 223/TMK situation. If we shoot 1000's of rounds thru the trainer rifle why would we switch to a completely different platform to shoot 1 larger bullet at an animal at long range after all that practice?

Last edited:
I have 43x,G20sf and g45.
My g20 is for hunting.
I have had three g19 and figured I would keep one or two forever.
I picked up a g45 at a gun store a few years ago and sold all the g19 stuff and bought two g45 that day.
I have sense sold one because I only need one.
No comparing how much better it fits the hand.
The g45 and g20 just got back from battlewerx getting killed for rmrHDs.
Run x300 turbo on them as well

eamyrick

WKR
I can’t imagine a more versatile gun than the 19. Easy to carry all day and the Gen 5 is the most reliable and accurate generation I’ve shot up to this point. I have two matching with dots and never feel the need to ever buy another handgun. The 19 frame also fits well in an Eberlestock Bando perfectly if you ever want a solid off the body option.

I have all 3 (and big hands).

19 - if I only had one handgun, it would be a 19. As a concealed carry gun, I think the micro 9s are better options. My carry is a p365. I shoot a 19 fine, but prefer a factory plus 2 mag for a bit of extra length on the grip. If you are running an x3000 you give up a compactness advantage.

45 - I shoot it as well as my 17 and better than my 19. Most people say the extra grip helps shootability and mine is one of my more inherently accurate glocks, meaning it shot very tight groups straight out of the box. Slightly shorter sight radius, but that won’t matter if you shoot an optic. Conceals better but you give that up with a x300.

20 - 10mm is a different animal than 9mm. Power, recoil, ammo costs, shootability. There are better opinions than mine about 10mm for animal protection. I would not feel undergunned with a 9mm loaded with hard cast in the back country, with the exception of brown bears. Opinions vary on 10mm for brown bears and I would agree that bigger would be better. However, I have enough time behind glocks to feel more confident in my ability to mag dump a g20 into a bear more than 5-6 44 mags. YMMV. FWIW, I carry my g20 when I am in bear country.

PS buy the g45. The answer is never NOT to buy the new gun.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I have a G19 and G20 that I alternate between. I usually opt for the G19 because I shoot it the most and have the most trigger time with it. I get a fair ammount of trigger time with the G20 too but not as much. I have been experimenting with my G48 instead of the G19 I just don't shoot the slim handguns as well, especially when cold.

For the sake of a hunting sidearm if I am going to carry a full size frame I'm going to carry a full size slide. I would skip the G45 but I also have dainty man hands and find the G19 fits me fine.

jimh406

WKR
Consider a 48 MOS. MOS to allow a micro red dot. It's quite a bit thinner.

If your state allows more than 10 rounds, I'd do the Shieldarms conversion which pushes the round count to 15 from 10.

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
I carry my 19 concealed. I personally wouldn’t want the handle of the 45 to conceal. I shoot the 19 very well, so need for the 17 length handle and mag capacity. If you can’t get it done with 15 rounds, you have bigger problems.

Lighter weight for the 19 as well.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wickss