Would like some opinions on 10x42 binoculars I'm considering, $500 (soft) limit

MikeJ1970

FNG
Very nice, Mike! I had looked at the Meopro HD but they were out of my price range unless at a good discount. You're lucky to have nabbed that 30% off! Where did you find that deal?
Directly from Meopta: https://meopta.store/products/meopro-hd-10x42

It looks like the 30% off has ended and they are now listed for $549.99.

Prior to my purchase I had PM'd Doug from CamerlandNY and after a bunch of back and forth had pretty much decided on the Kowa BD II's, but then this deal came along and I couldn't pass it up. I think the Backwoods Pursuit review made me hesitant also. If someone locally carried the Kowa so I could have checked them out for myself I may have gone that route.

OP
cytherian

cytherian

FNG
Directly from Meopta: https://meopta.store/products/meopro-hd-10x42

It looks like the 30% off has ended and they are now listed for $549.99.

Prior to my purchase I had PM'd Doug from CamerlandNY and after a bunch of back and forth had pretty much decided on the Kowa BD II's, but then this deal came along and I couldn't pass it up. I think the Backwoods Pursuit review made me hesitant also. If someone locally carried the Kowa so I could have checked them out for myself I may have gone that route.
Thanks for letting me know. My sister and her husband live in Syosset, which is like 15 mins from Camera Land, so I'm going to make a point of swinging by there. Would be great to test out a few binos to get a better idea of the feel & function of a few candidates. Looks like this store has periodic deals and closeouts so I'll keep an eye out.

I did end up going the cheaper route, though. Took a chance on a $120 cash outlay for a Svbony SV202 in 8x42. I had originally planned to go 10x42, but FOV has become a little more of a priority for me. The SV202 with ED glass is amazing. Never expected it to be this good. Edge-to-edge clarity is quite good. Only very minor CA when looking at the full moon when at an angle for a super bright white appearance. I don't know if I'll stop with these, until I get a chance to try out some similar quality competitors.

OP
cytherian

cytherian

FNG
Not sure if you found a bino yet or not, but Cabelas has Vortex Viper HD 10x42's for $299 currently. They are very, very good. I have compared them to SLC's and Leica Trinovids and they more than hold their own. For $300 I don't think you can do better.
Thanks for the heads up--that is a good price. If only the FOV was higher. The Viper HD 10x42 is 317ft. That's just a hair above the FOV in my Nikon 9x25. After experiencing 394 ft. in the Svbony SV202, I think I'm spoiled!

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if you found a bino yet or not, but Cabelas has Vortex Viper HD 10x42's for $299 currently. They are very, very good. I have compared them to SLC's and Leica Trinovids and they more than hold their own. For $300 I don't think you can do better.

Appears they are not the current specs for viper HD according to comments. A bait and switch by cabelas.