Worst spike camp locations

def90

WKR
A couple years ago I hiked in to a heavily travelled OTC unit in the dark and found a small camp with two tents and a couple horses tied up in the one meadow in the drainage with a small stream that runs through it. Walked through the camp in the dark and about 50 yds later in to the trees I was on the only group of elk I encountered that season. Ended up calling one in that came in around behind me silent, didn’t get a shot but it was the first time I had actually ever called one in.

The elk didn’t seem to mind the camp that was in the middle of their overnight hangout.

I plead guilty this season. Killed a bull the year before, a mile and a half from where we camped. Thinking we were tucked into a crappy little spot just off the trail and well away from the action, we had elk running around us all night. And none the next day... until we walked that mile and a half.

You only know what you know. With so many more boots on the ground there are a lot more people making mistakes most of us would likely not notice, and plenty more pointed fingers to go around as well.

Marble

WKR
This is in my top worst location. These two idiots set up their tent 300 yards from one of the major elk bedding/feeding areas. They were uphill, so their thermals went down all night. This little rise they are on is a major entry point to the entire area and the elk travel through there morning and evening. Then they lit a campfire opening morning, on the hill the elk hang out on. No fire ring.., grassy hill, with pine cones etc.

I appreciate the effort it took for them to get there. But they screwed themselves and me.
ba9d5b330941df5d792d41820813229b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Has a couple guys set up their camp in a very questionable location this year. I think they thought by them camping there that nobody would try hunting there.

I stopped and talked to them and we were able to make a plan/deal.

Nice guys!

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
Funny you assume they're not Westies or residents. The only bad one I've seen was a couple of guys from Denver camped above the timber in the meadow where the elk and deer fed up to every morning and evening.

Marble

WKR
I set up my camp in a not so great spot in Idaho. Hadn't been to that spot before but i got a bull working, so I dropped down the drainage and set up camp. Ended up camping there a few more times. It was mostly hidden, near a meadow with a wallow at the base of a big drainage. A guy who hunted there for a long time expressed his opinion about my camp location in a nice way. He was right. I'll probably find a little better shot next year...if I can get a tag there.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Mcribs

FNG
Everyone has opinions and some are wrong. I’m planning to camp in a meadow below the timber where the elk are. But they don’t use the meadow right now, as I’ve scouted. But to the “expert” OTC guy, I’m sure I’ll get an earful while they walk in 5 miles past the elk..

What’s worse is taking your family of five on horseback up to a very visible glassing knob above a main feeding area from dawn to dusk for 3 days straight.

Had that this year, finally shot a bull below the knob on the last day once they left and the area had a chance to calm down for 24 hrs.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I approve this post. I’d rather share a mountain with 10 experienced elk hunters than 1 nonresident newb on his first #sickforitelkhuntbrah

But that’s the way it goes sometimes

Last edited:

williaada

WKR
I hunted a new unit this year, and I still make mistakes of going to the wrong place or not understanding the wind very well up high.

There were 4 guys who set up a camp with horses in a large meadow known to have elk on it in the morning and night. This group set up right in the middle of the meadow and ruined the whole area. Another hunter I ran into 4 miles away as the crow flies and has been hunting the higher elevation mentioned not seeing any elk in the meadow for the first time is 3 or 4 years. When I mentioned the camp being in the meadow this hunter shook his head, and said I hope those guys stay over there.