Work On Your Own Bow

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been bowhunting for about 5 years. I’ve recently found interest in being able to do everything to your compound on your own. I want to be able to fine tune, site in, fix simple things, etc. on my own with minimal budget tools. Any advice?

Rob5589

WKR
Press and draw board are two must haves. Bow vise is also used frequently. After that it is mostly common tools; hex head wrenches, torx wrenches, basic sockets and such.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Press and draw board are two must haves. Bow vise is also used frequently. After that it is mostly common tools; hex head wrenches, torx wrenches, basic sockets and such.
I’m new to all of this, what does a press and draw board do?

Rob5589

WKR
A press is used to, press (compress) the bow, in order to relieve the load on the limbs. Use it for string swaps, peep installs, timing adjustments, etc. A draw board is a mechanical device used to draw the bow in order to check cam timing, draw length, etc.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A press is used to, press (compress) the bow, in order to relieve the load on the limbs. Use it for string swaps, peep installs, timing adjustments, etc. A draw board is a mechanical device used to draw the bow in order to check cam timing, draw length, etc.
Oh ok thank you! Any budget recommendations?

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Bow presses can be expensive. I've been using a portable bow press for many years and have installed peep sites, new strings and cables. For as much as I use it, it works for me. I have the bow master, but there are others. Make sure the one you get will work with your bow (split limbs...). I really believe you have to work on your own bow if you are serious about archery.

Rob5589

WKR
A draw board is a cheap and ez diy. A full size press is expensive, 300-500. I get by with a Bowmaster but, it isn't ideal and doesn't work for some bows. The Synumn is another portable type of press for around 120 bucks. Have never used one but, they are reportedly a good option.

You can also diy a bow press using a trailer tongue jack from harbor freight. I built one using that setup about 10 years ago and it's still working great. You need to weld some but it is not difficult.

Sent from the Arizona desert

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A draw board is a cheap and ez diy. A full size press is expensive, 300-500. I get by with a Bowmaster but, it isn't ideal and doesn't work for some bows. The Synumn is another portable type of press for around 120 bucks. Have never used one but, they are reportedly a good option.
I checked out the bow master, I like it. But, how do you hold your bow down while your tightening? Also, I have a split limb.

Rob5589

WKR
I checked out the bow master, I like it. But, how do you hold your bow down while your tightening? Also, I have a split limb.
You'll need a bow vise. You can do it without but, it's a pita. For split limbs you'll need the adapters BM sells. I use them for both my solid and split limb bows. The vise I have is from a member on Archerytalk, spewingjason.

Vise. I use it with a quick disconnect to speed up things, it isn't necessary but makes things easier.
IMG_20200306_184916475.jpg

Last edited:
See if their is a local archery club in your area. Lots have equipment available to members. Around here it's pretty cheap to be a member. You will likely meet people that are happy to help you as well.

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
You'll need a bow vise. You can do it without but, it's a pita. For split limbs you'll need the adapters BM sells. I use them for both my solid and split limb bows. The vise I have is from a member on Archerytalk, spewingjason.

Vise. I use it with a quick disconnect to speed up things, it isn't necessary but makes things easier.
View attachment 159984
That’s neat, is there a way to diy something to hold it down?

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
See if their is a local archery club in your area. Lots have equipment available to members. Around here it's pretty cheap to be a member. You will likely meet people that are happy to help you as well.
There is adhop but no clubs.

tsm213

FNG
Get a bow press to start. I built my own. Looking back I should of just bought one. They last forever. When I’m working on the string I just set it in the press to hold it most of the time.
It has made tuning so much quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk