Woods rifle

Spoonbill

WKR
I second the BLR, they come in several calibers that could fit the bill of a woods rifle. The two that stick out are 358 win and 450 marlin.

Ctpa61

FNG
Maybe give some thought to a Ruger compact rifle with the 16 inch barrel. Very handy especially if you hunt out of and enclosed box blind.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with either a Browning BLR or Remington 760/7600. both come in carbine models, and great whitetail and black bear calibers.

Lots of good ideas here. I will add my vote for the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. 16.5" barrel in .308. I topped mine with a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 and bought flush fitting polymer 3 round magazines. Great shooting, short rifle ready for any deer or black bear in the Appalachians.

Blakelok

FNG
Lots of good ideas here. I will add my vote for the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. 16.5" barrel in .308. I topped mine with a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 and bought flush fitting polymer 3 round magazines. Great shooting, short rifle ready for any deer or black bear in the Appalachians.

That is the exact setup I used when I lived in PA for a few years

88man

FNG
Very hard to beat a remington model 7 in 308 or 7mm08 for woods mountain hunting

clockworkgator

Lil-Rokslider
Does it have to be a bolt gun? A 30-30 will meet the handling quals and will easily take care of any animals in the Appalachians, including the two-legged, hopped up on meth ones.

sdupontjr

WKR
I have a Tikka t3 .308 but with good optic may or may not put you over budget. I actually picked up 2 Rem 700 ADL composite stocks in .308 for both of my younger boys. Got them from Academy for right at $400 out the door. They both shoot very well out to 300 yards. (thats the furthest shot both have made with them on deer). Their optic aren't much but work for them. nikon on 1 and a Vortex on the other. If they prove to me they can be responsible, I'll update them to better optics. But what I'm getting at is you could put top notch glass on it and still be below budget. Or get the Tikka.

howl

WKR
Short barrel .308-class rigs are LOUD. Even 20" is high pressure at the spout. The larger calibers are not as bad, but I wouldn't go shorter unless suppressed in any case.

A Win 94 or Marlin 336 is the archetype for this kind of hunting. Lots of people have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get a Marlin 336 to kill like more powerful bolt actions. Then again lots of people are well-satisfied with a 30-30. They can be surprisingly accurate and will keep a deer from making a thicket if bullets are placed appropriately.

I think the Model Seven is hard to beat with lightweight being a requirement. I have wondered how a Fieldcraft stacks up for quick handling. The Fieldcraft is the other currently produced smaller action.

I also think how it fits and handles for the shooter is important. The which leads one to handling lots of guns and deciding in person. Some rifles are more shootable for some people than others. I've been surprised at how well some rifles handled for me. The Weatherby Mark V is one, for instance. Go figure.

Brendan

WKR
Marlin 336 in 35 Remington shooting 200 gr bullets is a classic... Great for 200 and under for everything out east.

Need to get mine out and take it to the range...

OP
T
Short barrel .308-class rigs are LOUD. Even 20" is high pressure at the spout. The larger calibers are not as bad, but I wouldn't go shorter unless suppressed in any case.

A Win 94 or Marlin 336 is the archetype for this kind of hunting. Lots of people have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get a Marlin 336 to kill like more powerful bolt actions. Then again lots of people are well-satisfied with a 30-30. They can be surprisingly accurate and will keep a deer from making a thicket if bullets are placed appropriately.

I think the Model Seven is hard to beat with lightweight being a requirement. I have wondered how a Fieldcraft stacks up for quick handling. The Fieldcraft is the other currently produced smaller action.

I also think how it fits and handles for the shooter is important. The which leads one to handling lots of guns and deciding in person. Some rifles are more shootable for some people than others. I've been surprised at how well some rifles handled for me. The Weatherby Mark V is one, for instance. Go figure.

I completely agree and that was one issue I had is I haven’t been able to locate a Model 7 or the new ruger in my area. I have never handled a lever action but I believe with my ranges and type of hunting I do it may fit the bill. I’m going to go by a shop this weekend that have a 35 rem and several marlin 45-70’s to see how they handle. Thanks for all the input. I don’t like buying a rifle unless I handle it just like a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Shots under 200 yards, usually under 100, low power scope, deer and black bear primarily... I'd be buying the first BLR in 358 win I came across and not think twice about it.

Where could I find one of them. Gunbroker I’m assuming?

That's the primary way these days. You can find BLR's commonly enough in 308's and the like, if you really need to fondle one before you buy. Kind of like going to a bow shop, finding the bow you like, and ordering it in a different color.

elkduds

WKR

Or Armslist, etc..

Right there w all the lever gun guys for this application. Add Henry Long Ranger in 308, Marlin (JM marked) in 444, 45/70, 308 or 338mx, old Savage 99 in 308. I prefer the handling and accuracy of Marlin to the 94 Winchesters, after owning both.

LaGriz

WKR
trrkyhunter729,
I have a Marlin .308 Marlin Express that might be a reasonable alternative. Rifle is presently equipped with a Lyman Peep sight and a Williams fiber-optic front sight +a picatinny rail for a scout Extended-Eye relief scope. Never hunted with it, and it has only been to the range when not in the gun safe. Walnut & blue finish. no scope or ring included.

LaGriz

FLS

WKR
I’ve got a Savage 99 in 300 Savage and a Model 7 in 308. Both are great rifles capable of handling anything short of the great bears in NA.