Wood processing for tent stove

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sawtooth with a Lite Outdoors 18" stove. Im wondering if its worth the wight to carry a collapsable saw and hatchet to process larger wood for longer burn times in the stove. Or just burn sticks that can be broken to length?
I have a Sevens Saw and a Ultimate Survival hand chain saw, both of which will cut wood larger than I could fit through the door. I also have a gerber hatchet or could button with a fixed blade to split the wood smaller if needed.
I just wanted to know what everyone else does with their stoves when packing into the back country.

I have always taken a gerber Hatchet. It makes it nice and far less challenging for the little weight trade off.
I always was looking for a practical way. If it is cold enough to need the stove it's cold enough to need some wood.
I am sure there are many ways to look at it. I can trade off 20 oz. pretty easy with redundant gear I would not use.
You Will use the axe!

If travelling alone I carry a saw, if there are two of us we bring a saw and a hatchet. I found the Fisker hatchet to be the lightest and sharpest I've come across to date. This Zubot saw is a little expensive but absolutely the best little saw I've ever used. I actually quit carrying a saw for a couple of years because any pack saw I tried sucked. This little jewel blasts threw a 6" log fast and is light.

24264e82c24dbded20c1571f77bf22d8_zpsv5vqzoyt.jpg

240b37f8715240648391739abf69a3ec_zpshfay2h8l.jpg

Always carried a Wyoming saw, in my pack, if I was in horses had a buck saw and an axe, I prefer the Wyoming saw for capping skulls vs a hand saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll definitely want a saw. I've carried a $10 folding saw from Wal Mart. I put a rubber band from a cluster of broccoli around it when it's folded so the blade doesn't come open in my pack. Just remember these saws cut on the pull stroke, not while you're pushing. I break as many pieces as I can, which is obviously quicker.
Wrist-diameter pieces are about as large as I go. I have that stove and it does a pretty good job (haven't tried any others for comparison). A hatchet isn't going to do nearly as well on making neat cuts as a saw on wood that is dry.

As a wood processor I'll take a saw every single time. Versus a hatchet, I can consistently produce more wood in less time with less noise and effort. The saw weighs less (Silky is my brand) and I prefer the styles which don't fold. Basically they are a good blade and lightweight scale grips. I can cut firewood, create poles, prune trees and much more. The axe or hatchet is a fine tool and I love having one if at all possible. For me they're mainly about splitting rounds and doing certain chores in camp. I can live without one, but I'm not leaving home without a saw.

I tried doing small stuff last year, burned up faster than I could feed it and get anything else done in camp. Somebody on here recommended burning biggest stuff i could fit in the stove so i bought a folding saw based on somebody on here's recommendation and it seems really sturdy, haven't used it yet though. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head though!

I've burned hardwood in my HPG stove (and that can hold quite a bit of wood) and IMO, I haven't seen much of a difference between burning big chunks and burning wrist sized branches that I've broken off. There probably is one, but it's not like you get an extra hour or two out of a load. The best and quickest wood I've found is just dead branches from softwoods. The softwoods also burn good and hot, so if you're boiling water on the stove, it doesn't take 20 minutes.

A stove is nice to have, but if you're planning on using it a lot (more than just a couple of hours before bed and an hour in the morning) processing wood can take up quite a bit of time that's not spent hunting. I carry a bahco laplander when I'm solo, which works fine to process any wood and I just break branches mostly. If I'm going with more than 1-2 people, I'll bring a Bob Dustrade quick buck saw and everyone can get to work gathering wood. An axe is nice for splitting into dry wood if the outside is wet (you're not losing energy to evaporate a bunch of water first and it takes light faster).

I break off dead branches as thick as will fit through the door on my WiFi stove and break them over a rock or log with my foot. It has no been a a problem to get good wood broken up. I have burnt a couple of pieces that were a bit long and just pushed them in as they burnt down. I don't bother with a saw and I don't spend huge amounts of time gathering wood. In an hour I can usually get enough gathered for several days of morning and longer evening burns.

The driest wood seems to be dead branches off standing or fallen trees. Just break some wrist sized branches and drag them to the tent. Break these over a log or rock by swinging the branch such that the branch hits about 12 inches from the larger/heavier end. Just keep doing this til you're at the smallest end and the you can break it by stepping on it. I generally backpack hunt so there is plenty of small branches. I burn wood for a short time to warm the tent while climbing into or out of the sleeping bag. Pretty much the same as Shrek and can collect enough for 5 days in an hour. This probably won't work at a campground.

A pull saw and limb wood has always been my goto.
But I have to admit I do find my fiskers hatchet handy for all sorts of camp chores. But when weight counting, I can do without.
Hunt'nFish

If I'm going light, a Mora and a collapsing gerber saw will get the job done, like shrek I rely a lot on breaking.

if I have a sled or not going very far I might bring a Gransfors small forest axe, or a gerber bow saw (bulky but lighter then most folding versions).

I've owned and messed with a lot of saws. I got the knives of Alaska saw 3 years ago and was blown away with it. It's lightweight and cuts bone and wood like a chainsaw. The grip and angle are perfect, doesn't hurt your wrist.

Back