Wolves

Travis

FNG
Anyone chasing wolves out there? Here is a picture of a wolf my younger brother shot in Unit 4 towards the end of the 2011 elk season. Heard them howling in the AM way at the bottom of the drainage. Around 1:00 he heard them howl right below him. Tyler gave out a howl and out they came. The first shot took some hair off the first wolf. Then three more stepped out. Tyler was able to put one of them on the ground.
Targetting wolves has posed a real challange for my wife and I this year. Two years ago during the last legal hunting season, we were able to call a pack in only to miss the shot. This last year has been tough. Just when you think you have them located, they are 20 miles away...
But they do respond to howling. We have had many responses with a few of them resulting in the pack coming into us.
Get out there and give it a try. A very rewarding experience.

Attachments

• Tylers Wolf 2011.jpg
    Tylers Wolf 2011.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 84
Awesome! We're getting a few steps closer to being able to hunt them here...Hopefully one day!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Travis, welcome aboard and good work to your brother nailing this elk eating machine!!!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Of my 28 years in Alaska (born and raised) I have seen right around 20 wolves in the wild. Never was I targeting them, but rather more of the right place/right time sort of deal. The first was back in 1997 when I was 13. I was able to take a lone female wolf (though tracks indicated she wasn't really alone).

Then last year I came upon a group of 3 wolves and was able to harvest this fella:
IMGP0546-2.jpg

I tried to run that for our christmas card as use with the family dog, but I didn't fly :D

billy molls

Super Moderator
One day in Alaska, several years ago, a herd of caribou were chased into a draw by a single wolf. The herd came out of the draw, but the wolf didn't. So, me and my hunter went to investigate. At 1,000 yards I saw the wolf feeding on a yearling. With a few pounds of meat eaten out of the hind quarter, the wolf took off on his own accord, and the caribou wasn't even dead yet! What I would have given for one of those Hollywood "do-gooders" to see that.

OP
Travis

Travis

FNG
Just checked my camera card on a trail camera we had set up on one of our wolf snare sets. This guy didn't walk where we wanted him to. Next year....

Attachments

• game camera 2012 wolf 001.jpg
    game camera 2012 wolf 001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 59