Wolf trapped in CO East of I-25

Hnthrdr

WKR
So many questions… also nuts if that thing traveled thousands of miles, not an expert trapper but was under the impression coyotes and wolves do not frequent box traps…

Last edited:

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Story just doesn't add up on this one.

I feel like this is an escapee from the Wolf and Wildlife Center or a pet. Either that or wolves were introduced to the plains on state lands without a celebrated press release...

But the our Colorado government wouldn't direct CPW to do something that nefarious...

Hnthrdr

WKR
Story just doesn't add up on this one.

I feel like this is an escapee from the Wolf and Wildlife Center or a pet. Either that or wolves were introduced to the plains on state lands without a celebrated press release...

But the our Colorado government wouldn't direct CPW to do something that nefarious...
I’m with you, I mean the whole thing stinks… thought the same thing, or… they blast this up and the “dead wolf” introduced to throw opinion when last week a lot of people aren’t super happy about the introduced wolves sport killing cattle…

Loo.wii

WKR
Says it came from Great Lakes population. If true, that is wild.
If it did come from the mid west I image the trip took a while but that’s a lot of road crossing and people to pass without someone reporting. I wish it was collared so we could see the exact route

There are numerous examples of great lakes wolves travelling a long ass ways but all the ones i've seen generally stayed in established wolf range. Why the heck would would one walk all the way across the plains?

Says caught in a foot hold trap, wonder why it ended up dead and what's going to happen about that?

Loo.wii

WKR
There are numerous examples of great lakes wolves travelling a long ass ways but all the ones i've seen generally stayed in established wolf range. Why the heck would would one walk all the way across the plains?

Says caught in a foot hold trap, wonder why it ended up dead and what's going to happen about that?
The guy is probably fooked

TaperPin

WKR
I’d bet lunch it was uncle Tommy who caught the wolf elsewhere in another state and cousin Timmy thought it would be funny to set it loose in Colorado when he goes to see some girl in Greeley he met on Match, just to mess with people. It just screams ranch kid shenanigans. Lol

I’d bet lunch it was uncle Tommy who caught the wolf elsewhere in another state and cousin Timmy thought it would be funny to set it loose in Colorado when he goes to see some girl in Greeley he met on Match, just to mess with people. It just screams ranch kid shenanigans. Lol

A kid I hunted with shot a yote up north and brought it home and ditched it along the road after concluding its hide wasn't worth tanning. The local news heard about it and ran a story about coyotes being hit by a car in the area. N

We all had a good laugh that nobody noticed the .270 hole that had it pretty well mangled

mgray

FNG
I'm pretty sure you're only allowed to use cage traps in CO. That may only be on public land. I can't imagine trapping a wolf in a live trap. Does anyone know if coil or long spring traps are legal on private land?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Cage traps only on public. I believe there is a process to apply to get a permit for foot hold traps on private, but trapping has been generally ohtlawed in Co via the no kill traps no footholds or snares since 1996

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Eh… maybe, Elbert county is pretty far south, would be east of Co springs… I’m still having a hard time believing this lone wolf just walked from the UP to Elbert has to be over 1000 miles, no sightings, or reports of depredation along the way?

sndmn11

WKR
Eh… maybe, Elbert county is pretty far south, would be east of Co springs… I’m still having a hard time believing this lone wolf just walked from the UP to Elbert has to be over 1000 miles, no sightings, or reports of depredation along the way?
I don't think that if anyone saw it they would think anything of it.

"Oh look a loose husky dog"

Don't forget, until two winters ago if one called CPW to report a wolf sighting it was automatically a coyote despite wolves being killed within CO for a dozen years. I can't imagine someone in McCook calling in a wolf sighting and an agency investigating.

I read a more thorough article on it that said it was on private land and the owner had a depredation permit allowing the use of foothold traps for coyotes. The article I read also mentioned the initial assumption was that it was a released domesticated wolf or escaped captive wolf but wasn't confirmed yet. Very strange country to find a wolf for sure.