Wiser Precision Pan Head on KDC Granite Peak Tripod

Boiserunr

FNG
I put the Wiser pan head on a KDC Granite Peak tripod. I just wanted to share what it looks like and how much it weighs.

I am not recommending the Wiser pan head on the KDC granite peak tripod to everyone as it's not the best system or even a good system - but for me it seems like it might work ok as a compromise when weight is very important. I thought about this system a couple weeks ago while packing out an elk and counting through all the ounces on my back wondering how I could cut a few more ounces in certain situations.

I have a Slik 624 and a Sirui VA-5 head and that set up works great with no complaints except for weight and size. I also have the KDC Granite Peak tripod with the included small ball head which is great on weight and size but is not stable.

Using the Wiser pan head on the Slik 624 saves me 8.7 oz over using the VA-5 head (I have a custom carbon handle on the VA-5). This set up works well.

After buying a 3/8"-1/4" reducer I was able to mount the Wiser pan head to the KDC Granite Peak tripod. That set up for me is 13.65 oz. total and is 13" long from the top of the head to bottom of KDC tripod legs. I only tested this combo in the backyard and it seems like it would work ok. It's better than just using the KDC tripod with it's ball head. As expected it's not close to as steady as the Slick tripod set up. I have the Wiser pan head mounted on top of the KDC ball head which is not ideal. If the KDC head is not cinched down tight this system does not work. If the Wiser pan head could connect directly to the KDC that would make this set up much better but I'm not sure how to accomplish that yet. I finished up with my hunting seasons for this fall but I look forward to testing it out more to see if it works.

Attachments

• kdc with head on scale.jpg
    kdc with head on scale.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 60
  • reducer on kdc.jpg
    reducer on kdc.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 53
  • close up .jpg
    close up .jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 13 inches.jpg
    13 inches.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 55
  • binos on set up.jpg
    binos on set up.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 58

ChrisAU

WKR
My favorite thing about the Wiser is being able to leave enough tension on it to hold the binos still but then still be able to pan and tilt, I’m not sure how effective you could be with the KDC operating that way. I used a KDC for a couple years but wound up going to an Aoka with a Sunaway center column. If you are ok with releasing tilt fully then it will probably work nicely.

OP
B

Boiserunr

FNG
My favorite thing about the Wiser is being able to leave enough tension on it to hold the binos still but then still be able to pan and tilt, I’m not sure how effective you could be with the KDC operating that way. I used a KDC for a couple years but wound up going to an Aoka with a Sunaway center column. If you are ok with releasing tilt fully then it will probably work nicely.
Do you have the models or links to the Aoka and sunaway column? I briefly looked at the akoa's while back but I might need to look into that set up.

ChrisAU

WKR
Do you have the models or links to the Aoka and sunaway column? I briefly looked at the akoa's while back but I might need to look into that set up.

Sure, just measured mine, with Wiser pan head mine is 22.8 oz. The Sunway center column is a billion times steadier than the one that comes with the Aoka. I’ve found I get the tripod itself level and about the right height using the legs then fine tune height using the center column.

AOKA 28in/1.1lb Lightweight Compact Carbon Fiber Tripod with 360° Ballhead Travel Mini Tripod for Mobile Phone and Compact Mirrorless Cameras https://a.co/d/5KncEdY

SUNWAYFOTO ET-01 Carbon Fiber Tripod Extension Tube, 22.05lbs Capacity https://a.co/d/180ped6